Any Freeflight Rangr Lite PIREPS yet?

Discussion in 'Maintenance Bay' started by MickYoumans, Sep 9, 2015.

1. MickYoumans

MickYoumans Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    MickYoumans
    I'm still trying to decide what I want to install for my ADS-B Out solution. Has anybody here installed the $2000 Freeflight Rangr Lite system? If so, any issues? I have a Garmin GTX327 transponder and my understanding is that it will interface with the Rangr.

2. ssokol

ssokol Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    ssokol
    I dropped my Tiger off at the local avionics shop last night. I should have a pirep on the RANGR Lite + GTX-327 for you in a week or so. (It may be longer - requires a field approval as the Grumman isn't on the AML yet.)

patrick wentworth likes this.
  3. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    ron keating
    Couldn't be sure of the interface,so I went with trading the 327 for the 330 es.more money ,but I'm in compliance.

4. hankrausch

hankrausch Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    GoodbyePOA
    Are there any updates on this--specifically how did the install go and how does it worK? I found this on a google search for "inexpensive ADS-B" and it sure seems to fit the bill!

5. MickYoumans

MickYoumans Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    MickYoumans
    Any update?

6. hankrausch

hankrausch Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    GoodbyePOA
    Here is what the sales rep told me, it does sound very attractive--it looks like I can get compliant with $2k plus install costs:

We have our RANGR TX Lite for $1995 which includes internal WAAS/GPS and antennas. When you purchase our systems, you will receive our STC so there is no additional paperwork certification required. Your aircraft is listed on our approved model list.

For the transponder interface, there is no direct connection required. Our solution has internal decoder to “sniff” out the squawk code from your existing transponder for an ADS-B transmission.

There are two antennas required. A ball and stick antenna on the bottom of your aircraft and a GPS antenna on the top. Both of these are included in our price.

7. tigerowner

tigerowner Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tigerowner
    Buyer beware on the Freeflight solution. I've installed the Freeflight FDL-978-TXL (this is not the model that has the wifi capability, I use Stratus for "IN"), thinking this would get rid of the "hockey puck" issue with receiving traffic by equipping the plane with ADS-B OUT. However this unit does not transmit to the ground the fact that the plane is capable of ADS-B IN.

In short, the OUT unit has to tell the ground that IN is installed in the plane; without this, the traffic picture is NOT sent to the plane. It turns out that Freeflight did not include this capability in this model. They have been working on a software fix for several months however the release date continues to slip.

Before you install this, I suggest you contact Freeflight and confirm when they will finally have this fixed.

8. Indiana_Pilot

Indiana_Pilot Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flying "B"
    Any update on this? I just purchased this unit...

9. Indiana_Pilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flying "B"
    I just talked to them again and it seems that the are going to release it anytime (within a few weeks) Software version 001H. After my IA get's installed I am hoping it will be released ! It sounds like it was enabled on previous software versions but with the latest release it was omitted. Hope they fix it soon since I just bought the thing today!

10. Indiana_Pilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flying "B"
    Still waiting for the latest software release.. supposed to have been last week :( This sucks that they omitted the fact that it does not allow you to set the settings to indicated you have a receiver. It's been weeks.. I feel like I wasted my money.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  11. Indiana_Pilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flying "B"
    I received an email from the director of Sales & Marketing.. They are supposed to release the latest software update that will fix the inability to set the 978 and 1090 Receiver In to "yes" He says it is literally any day now...

12. Indiana_Pilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flying "B"
    Just as an update.. the software has been updated on my FDL 978 TXL and it is working wonderfully !

13. NealRomeoGolf

NealRomeoGolf Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    NRG
    I'm considering a plane that has a RANGR as well. So you like it? Do you use ForeFlight with it?

14. Indiana_Pilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flying "B"
    Works great! I use that for my ads-b out and Foreflight with Stratus 2 for my in.. I see all the traffic !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Jim Caputo

Jim Caputo Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    JiCaputo
    Is the install complicated? What is involved in the install? Did you install it yourself?

16. SoCal RV Flyer

SoCal RV Flyer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    SoCal RV Flyer
    That's good news....I'm kinda partial to my GTX327 x-ponder so the Rangr (in & out) model would be a good way to go without a panel re-work.

17. Indiana_Pilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    Flying "B"
    Not at all hard... Find a AP/AI buddy and go for it yourself!