Any Flight School Recommendations in NVA/DC area?

sysadmin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
sysadmin
Hello All:

For you folks who live in the Northern Virginia area, I was wondering if you have any recommendations for flight lessons leading to a private pilot license.

All of them appear to cost the same amount, roughly $8,000. Since I am coming out of pocket (9/11 GI Bill won't pay for it. Bummer!), I want the money well spent.

Thanks.

I teach at one. I felt it was the best school around BEFORE I got my CFI, and that's why I chose them to earn my CFI and teach there now.

http://www.aviationadventures.com, with locations in Leesburg, Manassas, and Warrenton.

PM me for more info. There ARE other good schools in the area, but I think we offer something "extra" in our culture.

I'd also recommend asking on the dcpilots yahoo group.

Welcome!

I have an excellent CFII out of Dulles Aviation at HEF. He doesn't do much primary instruction, but focuses on advanced.

via Tapatalk

Hi everyone:

Are these recommendations still valid?

Could anyone tell me the differences between these flight schools?

AV-ED
Aviation Adventures
Dulles Aviation
Washington International Flight Academy

Thanks!

Hi everyone:

Are these recommendations still valid?

Could anyone tell me the differences between these flight schools?

AV-ED
Aviation Adventures
Dulles Aviation
Washington International Flight Academy

Thanks!

Depending on where you are, you may want to consider GT Aviation at VKX.

Based on my experience living in the area, your level of happiness with your training will vary depending on how far you have to drive. The commutes around here can suck, depending on when you're planning to do your lessons.

Never heard of Washington International but the others have been around a long time. Adventures is a relative newcomber being something on the order of 15 years old or so. My only animosity towards them was that they got Dave Wartofsky to kick me out of my front row tiedown space so they could park their planes together and the fact that their dumbass flight instructors abandoned the aircraft blocking the pumps between lessons. Hopefully, this has been subsequently corrected.

Depending on where you are, you may want to consider GT Aviation at VKX.

Based on my experience living in the area, your level of happiness with your training will vary depending on how far you have to drive. The commutes around here can suck, depending on when you're planning to do your lessons.

Thanks! I'm closer to Leesburg and Gaithersburg so GT Aviation at VKX is a bit far...

Do you have any experience at these schools?

Never heard of Washington International but the others have been around a long time. Adventures is a relative newcomber being something on the order of 15 years old or so. My only animosity towards them was that they got Dave Wartofsky to kick me out of my front row tiedown space so they could park their planes together and the fact that their dumbass flight instructors abandoned the aircraft blocking the pumps between lessons. Hopefully, this has been subsequently corrected.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks! I'm closer to Leesburg and Gaithersburg so GT Aviation at VKX is a bit far...

Do you have any experience at these schools?

Aviation Adventures has a good reputation. WIFA probably less so. I took a flight with them once and it was a bit disorganized, but they got the job done.

Aviation Adventures has a good reputation. WIFA probably less so. I took a flight with them once and it was a bit disorganized, but they got the job done.

Thanks for letting me know.

If you are close to GAI, join Octopus Flying club.

They have a $500 student membership. It's a PA-28-161 (well equipped) that's better maintained than anything on a rental line. Rents for $104 a tach hour. You'll come out way ahead vs. renting from a school. It wouldn't even be close financially.

They have several instructors in the club. The one who did my check outs was only $30 an hour.

I train at VKX with HJ Aviation because I live in Capitol Hill. But if I lived in NW or up around GAI it'd be no question. I'd join Octopus and get my ratings through them.

They also have an Arrow that can be used for IFR and CPL ratings.

You mean GT?

Adventures isn't at VKX with Dave or am I missing something?

And yeah, they still block the pumps all the time.

You mean GT?

I beleive AA was here at VKX several years ago.

I train at VKX with HJ Aviation because I live in Capitol Hill.

Oh yeah, I forgot about HJ. Those guys are decent too. For anyone else reading this thread, VKX is a great airport in the DC area and unlike any others in the area...much more park like. While it is in the FRZ, the minor annoyance of vetting and filing is countered by being one of the closest airports to the city and reasonably easy to get to even in traffic (along with CGS being on the metro and the most accessible to the city).

You mean GT?

No, i mean ADVENTURES. They started at VKX. This all took place back before 9/11. Adventures ran away like a squealing pig after that.

If you are close to GAI, join Octopus Flying club.

They have a $500 student membership. It's a PA-28-161 (well equipped) that's better maintained than anything on a rental line. Rents for $104 a tach hour. You'll come out way ahead vs. renting from a school. It wouldn't even be close financially.

They have several instructors in the club. The one who did my check outs was only $30 an hour.

I train at VKX with HJ Aviation because I live in Capitol Hill. But if I lived in NW or up around GAI it'd be no question. I'd join Octopus and get my ratings through them.

They also have an Arrow that can be used for IFR and CPL ratings.

Octopus Flying club and HJ Aviation both look good. Thanks for telling me about them.

I was based at VKX from about 1995 to 2001. I temporarily relocated to OKV when they finally allowed us to flush out after 9/11 and was one of the first to get FRZ clearances. Alas in the interim my aircraft went into a multiyear restoration following an engine failure. When it came out in 2004 a hangar at CJR had suddenly become available to me.

Adventures used to have an office on top of the maintenance (then The Plane Doctor) hangar.

Another question:

Is there any flight school to train for the EASA license in the DC area?

Thanks!

Back