Any feedback on 2-blade scimitar for Arrow?

MN_Flyer

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MN_Flyer
It is time for an overhaul of the IO-360 in my flight club's Piper Arrow II. While this is going on, we are looking into a prop replacement. The current prop is due for an overhaul based on calendar time and is starting to sling a very small amount of oil. It also has the 100 hour hub AD that we would like to get rid of.

We have no desire to go with a 3-blade, as the weight is not welcomed. We could overhaul the existing prop with a new hub, but I ran across another option. Pro Pilots Inc owns an STC to put a Hartzell 2-blade scimitar prop on the Arrow. Has anyone had experience with this combination?

www.propilotsinc.com

It would be great to cruise at a lower RPM and any noise reduction would be a nice bonus. The price seems right. What do you think?

Thanks,
Dan

The Mooney guys seem to like the Hartzell Top Prop mod for that same engine/propeller combo. I have no personal experience though.

Is this for the Prescott Flying Club?

Is this for the Prescott Flying Club?

As a matter of fact, it IS Prescott Flying Club. Unfortunately we are a three plane club for a little while, but should be in really good shape once we get that plane back with a new factory overhaul. I just wish the engine would have held out another month to get us out of the busy season.

I'm in an arrow 2 partnership. It has the scimitar 2 blade. Really nice prop imo. 2300rpm cruise and the plane touches 140 knots. I don't hear of too many arrows that get that book speed.

Our club's Arrow has the 3 blade prop. It does add weight, and the CG moves forward. 2 up front and I need about 50 pounds in the cargo compartment to bring the CG back behind the forward limit. You are wise to avoid this.

I'm in an arrow 2 partnership. It has the scimitar 2 blade. Really nice prop imo. 2300rpm cruise and the plane touches 140 knots. I don't hear of too many arrows that get that book speed.

140 kts? What other mods do you have on your Arrow?

Grant

Grant

Marty Bevill's 180hp Arrow cruised a solid 140kts with no mods with he and I up front, his son Chase in the back, and 140lbs of my luggage in the aft.

I'd go for the Hartzell. I've generally been happy with their props. The lower dB and AD elimination is the big plus.

Thanks for all the responses. Not sure if this is going to happen right now or not, but I will post feedback on this combination once we have it completed.

Grant

No other mods that I am aware of. It isn't much of a plane to look at actually, but the engine and prop only have a few hundred hours on them. The other guys in the partnership know the history of it better than I do, and their comment was that the Q tip scimitar really improved the cruise speed. I have tested it out before, and it does indeed touch 140 no wind. I don't usually flog it that much however, and run closer to 135 lean of peak at 2300rpm and <10gph.

Back