Any downside to a RPL before my PPL?

Hobobiker

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Hobo
In my intro post, I noted that I'm just begininng lessons (4th one is tonight). I'm just wondering (aloud to the forum I guess), if I should shoot for my Recreational license first while I work towards my Private. I'm guessing there are some pros and cons, and just wanted to bounce it off those that know much more than me. I'm aware of the license differences, but want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot one way or the other.

Thanks all!

Extra cost. I considered the same thing, but didn't want to pay for two check rides. If that's not a show stopper for you, though, it would give you some additional flexibility in the later stage of your training.

Extra cost. I considered the same thing, but didn't want to pay for two check rides. If that's not a show stopper for you, though, it would give you some additional flexibility in the later stage of your training.

Didn't even think of that one Dale - missing the "obvious" I guess. Might not be a show-stopper, but I'll check on the testing costs.

Thanks!

Pretty much, the restrictions for post-solo student are the same as for Recreational. For the cost of an extra checkride, you don't need a signoff from your CFI for every solo flight and you can carry 1 passenger. It can be a great motivator -- or de-motivator depending upon your priorities, hopes, and dreams.

I'd advise SP before RP any day - less time requirements and more freedom except in the aircraft you can fly.

Ryan

I'd advise SP before RP any day - less time requirements and more freedom except in the aircraft you can fly.

Ryan

Looked into that Ryan, but no Sport aircraft in my area for instructors to use (which isn't a requirement for anything except the checkride) OR to rent afterwards (which was a major downer and drawback).

Thanks for the input!

This assumes, of course, that you have access to one or more LSA to fly. I didn't even consider SP because the low end of the locally available rental fleet consists entirely of Cherokees, with one or two 172s thrown in. No LSA at all, that I am aware of. But if there are LSA available to you, it might be a good option.

What was REALLY TEMPTING about an RP ticket was the ability to take a passenger up for trips around the area. However, I figured I'd shell out about $500 for the RP written and checkride, then just a couple-few months later do it again for PP. If it looked like it would have been significantly longer than that, I might have done it.

Is Recreational even still an option? I sort of thought they did away with it due to lack of interest.

What kind of flying are you going to do? If you are not going to use it for long distance travel, you can purchase several E-LSA's for under $15K and several for around $10K. The Titan Tornado II will cruise in the 120 MPH range on 4-GPH and can be bought for $15-$20K.

What kind of flying are you going to do? If you are not going to use it for long distance travel, you can purchase several E-LSA's for under $15K and several for around $10K. The Titan Tornado II will cruise in the 120 MPH range on 4-GPH and can be bought for $15-$20K.

Truthfully Dean my budget likely won't allow my own plane for some time, especially given the annual maintenance/operational/FAA costs. Right now I'm thinking just the local club/wet fees, etc. Just now diving in after many years of wanting to learn but, as with most, finances always play a key role.

BTW - I HAD to google the Tornados and take a look. Pretty cool...

Truthfully Dean my budget likely won't allow my own plane for some time, especially given the annual maintenance/operational/FAA costs. Right now I'm thinking just the local club/wet fees, etc. Just now diving in after many years of wanting to learn but, as with most, finances always play a key role.

BTW - I HAD to google the Tornados and take a look. Pretty cool...

That is one thing that is nice about experimental's, the maintenance cost are a lot less than certified and the only FAA fee I had was the registration fee. As for hourly operating cost, my Challenger II was $22.00 an hour. You can pick a Challenger II up for around $10K or less, and a Challenger I for under $6K.

If you were to go to Sporty's Academy in Batavia, Ohio, one of their flight training packages is just that: zero time to solo, solo to recreational, recreational to private pilot. Works for them, obviously. From what I have read, they feel that students are better motivated by a goal that is just a few hours away than by one that is at least 40 hours away.

Go to www.sportysacademy.com and check it out.

Bob Gardner

If you were to go to Sporty's Academy in Batavia, Ohio, one of their flight training packages is just that: zero time to solo, solo to recreational, recreational to private pilot. Works for them, obviously. From what I have read, they feel that students are better motivated by a goal that is just a few hours away than by one that is at least 40 hours away.

Go to www.sportysacademy.com and check it out.

Bob Gardner

Granted I don't get the happy stundents here but we have gained several Sportys dropouts who felt that the play was to milk them not motivate them.

I haven't examined the system so I don't know one way or the other.

EDIT just looked it up, at nearly $12000 for a private you decide

Last edited:
Dont get it?

Sounds like a strange and expensive way to go about things (heck at the very least it's another 300-500 bucks in examiners fees), not sure what the advantage would be, dont think it will make you a better aviator, I'd just go straight to PPL and be done with it.

Dont get it?

Sounds like a strange and expensive way to go about things (heck at the very least it's another 300-500 bucks in examiners fees), not sure what the advantage would be, dont think it will make you a better aviator, I'd just go straight to PPL and be done with it.

Yep. My CFI and I discussed tnite after my 1.4 Hobbs-hour lesson with 8 landings (big grin here). Going straight for my ppl. Might even take my CFI exam along with my ppl written. He stated that they were the same and he wishes he had done the same.

Thanks for the input all!

Yep. My CFI and I discussed tnite after my 1.4 Hobbs-hour lesson with 8 landings (big grin here). Going straight for my ppl. Might even take my CFI exam along with my ppl written. He stated that they were the same and he wishes he had done the same.

Thanks for the input all!

:confused::confused::confused: CFI and PP written are the same?

:confused::confused::confused: CFI and PP written are the same?

Not sure. He made it sound like the written tests (or at least One of them) were the same, which was why he wished he had scheduled them on the same day. He told me if I had aspirations of getting my CFI to consider doing so since I would already be prepped for the written.

Learning as i go here...

Not sure. He made it sound like the written tests (or at least One of them) were the same, which was why he wished he had scheduled them on the same day. He told me if I had aspirations of getting my CFI to consider doing so since I would already be prepped for the written.

Learning as i go here...

There is only so much material that gets covered and it's the same subject, but I don't think the CFI-A test is the same. Here's a caveat to that, your written test scores expire after 2 years. With the CFI writtens though there is a way to save that by applying for the Ground Instructor rating which has no flight time restrictions. That way when you get the log book quals you can do the CFI ride without redoing the writtens (2, CFI and FOI).

I'd just concern myself with enjoying flying for a few more hours though, no need to rush.

Just remember, every written exam is $150.

Granted I don't get the happy stundents here but we have gained several Sportys dropouts who felt that the play was to milk them not motivate them.

:yikes: YHGTBSM!

I did look at Sporty's before I started training. And to be honest, after the troubles I had with local flight schools I looked at them again about halfway through.

I think it looked like about $10K or so, plus transportation, lodging and meals for a couple of weeks. The trade-off is flying every day, finishing up quickly, and flying new 172s. For me it wasn't worth it, but I can see how people could make the decision. In the grand scheme of things, a few thousand bucks extra may not be a show stopper if you have limited time (foreign students, for example) or if there is no local flight school.

Next airport over we have 141 training in a 172R for barley more than half the cost

Back