Any DA42 pilots?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Along the lines of my other Duchess vs Seminole thread, just found that there is a DA42 on the line at the FBO that rents the Duchess. Looks like a pretty capable airplane, although fitting the baggage for a family trip looks a bit tight. The other downside is that they want $309 per hour for it and it does not outrun the BE-76. Plus side is the TKS for winter trips to Chattanooga.

Is it worth getting checked out in?

no, but I have much the same thing. For all practical purposes the light-light twin segment has seen no real improvement since the D95 was introduced in 1958.

By the time you get checked out in it cost wise you could have bought a couple airline tickets. Have you done a lot of flying over the Appalachians in icing with your family on board ? Sounds real pleasurable and relaxing to me........

Along the lines of my other Duchess vs Seminole thread, just found that there is a DA42 on the line at the FBO that rents the Duchess. Looks like a pretty capable airplane, although fitting the baggage for a family trip looks a bit tight. The other downside is that they want $309 per hour for it and it does not outrun the BE-76. Plus side is the TKS for winter trips to Chattanooga.

I've never flown a DA42, but between your options, that is definitely the airplane I would get checked out in.

TKS isn't my favorite form of de-icing equipment, but admittedly I've never used it. Everyone I talk to who has used it likes it.

Having some form of de-icing is very nice for winter trips, simply because it give syou more options. As always, the best policy is to avoid ice. Today I got a bit on the test flight. Climbed through it, but a couple chunks came off the props hitting the nose. Nice having it all even though I didn't need the boots.

I'd definitely give it a try - De-ice is a very nice thing to have.

I haven't flown one, but the DA40 (single-engine version) has very nice flight characteristics and is a real delight to fly. Visibility is incredible, too.

There's a few other characteristics of the DA42 that are pretty nice - For example, Vle = Vne. So, the gear is the ultimate speed brake.

Just be sure you follow POH procedures, especially in the event of a dead battery. :nono:

By the time you get checked out in it cost wise you could have bought a couple airline tickets.
Which is the downside of th DA42

The nice thing about the Duchess is that with 4 onboard, the rental will a least break even if not be cheaper than flying commercially plus it is a whole lot faster than the airlines since there is no connection or TSA to deal with.

Have you done a lot of flying over the Appalachians in icing with your family on board ?
None at all. I have been flying in the Southwest for the last 5 years. Got the mountain flying ticket punched. Still an ice virgin.

Right now, think I will forget the Seminole and get checked out in the Duchess. It will be a simple check out since I already have over 100 hrs in type. In the meantime, I may get some instruction in the DA42 as time permits to give me more options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The fly the TwinStar and I've never had a problem with fitting stuff in there, plenty of room. You have the nose baggage, and two baggage compartments in the tail, the 2nd one though is optional extra and the flight school might not have it.

The rest of the specs significantly vary which models, which model of the DA42 are we talking about?
Also what are the optional extras on it?

What's the cruise speed of the BE-76?

Last edited:
Back