Any Aztec a&p's out there?

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
A quick question.

The front nose wheel on our Aztec has been turned past its allowable limit, breaking off the stop tab on the trunnion. I really don't know when this happened, as it is something I had never known to look for. One of the other pilots happened to notice it and repairs will be forthcoming. In the meantime, everything else looks and checks OK. Steering linkage and all other parts were not damaged due to this. We have grounded the plane.:mad: Is this an airworthiness problem, or is it only an airworthiness issue if any of the other mechanical parts are damaged further?

If I let no one move it with a tow, will any further damage result by taxiing it under its own power?

Is it possible to break this part by taxiing the airplane and using differential power to sharpen a turn? The manual only states that the nose wheel can turn 30 degrees, nothing about turning sharper with differential power.

Thanks,

Aztec Driver said:
A quick question.

The front nose wheel on our Aztec has been turned past its allowable limit, breaking off the stop tab on the trunnion. I really don't know when this happened, as it is something I had never known to look for. One of the other pilots happened to notice it and repairs will be forthcoming. In the meantime, everything else looks and checks OK. Steering linkage and all other parts were not damaged due to this. We have grounded the plane.:mad: Is this an airworthiness problem, or is it only an airworthiness issue if any of the other mechanical parts are damaged further?

If I let no one move it with a tow, will any further damage result by taxiing it under its own power?

Is it possible to break this part by taxiing the airplane and using differential power to sharpen a turn? The manual only states that the nose wheel can turn 30 degrees, nothing about turning sharper with differential power.

Thanks,

Not an A&P Aztec or otherwise, but I'm certain you cannot break the nose gear by turning with differential power and/or brakes. This has to have been done by a tug.

Agree with Lance.

This usually happens when someone pushes the plane backward with a tug, and exceeds the angle. Hard to do moving forward. The stress has to go somewhere, 'cause the towbar or tug aren't about to break.

wsuffa said:
Agree with Lance.

This usually happens when someone pushes the plane backward with a tug, and exceeds the angle. Hard to do moving forward. The stress has to go somewhere, 'cause the towbar or tug aren't about to break.

Agree with Bill agreeing with Lance. I work as a lineman, and have witnessed this happening, note; I was not driving the tug. When the turn angle is exceeded, there is usually a loud snap along with the stress being released. I have never done this, but personally, if I had my own airplane, no one else would be towing it except for me. Same for the A&P stuff.

Dustin Smith

Any answers to these questions?

Is this an airworthiness problem, or is it only an airworthiness issue if any of the other mechanical parts are damaged further?

Bryon,

That's probably plane specific. I don't know about the Aztruck. However, if the broken ear results in a crack in the landing gear, I sure wouldn't want to fly it or even taxi it....

Byron, I'm not an A&P so I cannot supply the FAA correct answer to your question of airworthiness. I suspect you're asking for more than the "can I operate this a/c?" because you've already elected to ground this airplane.

Would oversteering cause damge to the bungee assy or prevent the wheel from centering into the well upon retraction? You willing to take that bet? I think you need to talk to your A&P and start thinking about jacking the airplane.

WRT your other question. The airplane cannot oversteer itself so no worries there. But continued ground operation will only exacerbate whatever mechanical deficiency is there now. Now, the answer to both your questions becomes, "How to determine the extent of damage and likelihood of further damge resulting from oversteer by tug?"

Yes, the answer to your questions is a question. It's time you visited your A&P.

Back