Any advice for Opa-locka (OPF)?

Code90

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Code90
Heading down to Miami for the Boat Show. Will be first flight in by GA. Flying into MIA would be the closest to the show, but I'm now that interested in jockeying for space with the big boys. Looking at landing at OPF. Does anyone have any experience there? I know they have a few FBO's. Any thoughts on which is better for someone flying a Lance? (not a jet). Any other things to look out for in the area?

I'm going there myself Saturday morning for the boat show. Never been there but they say Orion is good and it should be an easy place to get in to.

I've flown in there off and on for years. Watched A positive FBO upgrade take place. Haven't been there in a year or so but its my choice for N Miami.

Be aware that the cheap SS fuel is a bit remote from FBO but was always worth it. At least last Time I was there.

I assume you are renting a car. The neighborhood around the airport is very rough looking FYI.

Just a heads up for pilots new to the south Florida area, all the airports can look a like. Obey your GPS over your eyeball to avoid fixating on the wrong 'port.

The good news is that there are a lot of very nice airports. The bad news is that there are a lot of very nice airports.

I trained next door at North Perry in Hollywood (KHWO) and flew into Opa Locka many, many times. Friendly ATC, nice FBOs... good choice.

Is one of the FBOs more geared to the average Joe in a prop plane and another more like lifestyles of the rich and famous in their jet? Is the area around it safe to drive thru?

I trained next door at North Perry in Hollywood (KHWO) and flew into Opa Locka many, many times. Friendly ATC, nice FBOs... good choice.
...just don't go into North Perry if you are a transient - can be tough to find a tie down and good transient service. Love the airport though...
attachment.php
(I just wanted an excuse to post this again)
Is one of the FBOs more geared to the average Joe in a prop plane and another more like lifestyles of the rich and famous in their jet? Is the area around it safe to drive thru?
You can pretty much assume that the FBO with the lowest 100LL price or the SS is the one. I think they all are putting on the Ritz now in standard FL style. Used to be a bit of a dump. Not sure who I used last time - I follow Hertz cars but also the low price....
I would use KMIA, no probs getting in and out VFR.
I've used it and it's fine but you need to be on top of your game... it gets busy. "Five Tango Golf, do you have the 767 at your 1:00?" "Okay, slow down and follow him in" PRICELESS!

The FBO does not pay much attention to the little guys but that can work to your advantage.

Back