Any advice for a new investigative reporter?

purdue1014

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
I'm a new investigative reporter for my High School, and just starting to get to work on my first story. I was wondering if any of you out there have any advice for a new investigative reporter?

Thanks,

Purdue

purdue1014 said:
I'm a new investigative reporter for my High School, and just starting to get to work on my first story. I was wondering if any of you out there have any advice for a new investigative reporter?

Thanks,

Purdue
Umm... Do some real investigation?

RotaryWingBob said:
Umm... Do some real investigation?

No kidding. With out going into specifics, there is a fair amount of corruption with the "higher ups" at my school........As far as the advice, I was thinking more along the lines of someone who was an actual reporter who wished that they knew "X" when they first started their career, and was wondering as to what "X" was .......

Purdue

wow, my high school "newspaper" was mostly a bunch of kids goofing around for 6 days a week and then making up some crap to print on the 7th day. I think this is pretty much how most real newspapers work? Just write a bunch of stories about flying. "investigate" how to get your pilots license etc. generate good press for GA.

Well, I am a former newspaper reporter and was an investigative reporter for a number of years, doing things ranging from illegal immigrant trafficking in Atlanta's construction industry to African famine. It is a difficult, thankless task, but it sure is great when you nail it.

1) Try to suppress your preconceived notions. They may be right, they may be wrong. The truth is, you have no way of knowing until you've done the job right.
2) Try to avoid drawing conclusions based on your personal rapport with sources. Search for objective facts and try to verify them from as many different directions as possible.
3) Realize that EVERYONE has an agenda, including yourself, your editors and your sources. Learn to recognize the ways that agenda plays out in what they do and what they say.
4) Try not to get drawn into "their" world. It destroys objectivity.

Gosh, there is so much more than can be transmitted here. Good luck!!

1. Check your facts.
  2. Consider your sources -- recognize their agendas and biases.
  3. Check your facts.
  4. Take notes on every conversation as it happens. Noncontemporaneous notes are always suspect.
  5. Check your facts.
  6. Never print something unless you've confirmed it with at least two reliable sources.
  7. Check your facts.
  8. The internet is a terribly unreliable source unless you know who posted it.
  9. Check your facts.
  10. Make sure you have all the facts, not just those a particular source wants you to have.
And did I mention checking your facts?

Ron Levy said:
  1. Check your facts.
  2. Consider your sources -- recognize their agendas and biases.
  3. Check your facts.
  4. Take notes on every conversation as it happens. Noncontemporaneous notes are always suspect.
  5. Check your facts.
  6. Never print something unless you've confirmed it with at least two reliable sources.
  7. Check your facts.
  8. The internet is a terribly unreliable source unless you know who posted it.
  9. Check your facts.
  10. Make sure you have all the facts, not just those a particular source wants you to have.

The only thing I would add to Ron's list is to check your facts. I can't believe he missed that one, he's usually very thorough.

Seriously, though, number 2 above has been mentioned twice now. It's important to realize that the person you're talking to may not even realize that they have a bias or an agenda. It's not necessarily some devious hidden agenda, it's usually just human nature. For example, I have a tendency to accept pro-flying "arguments" at face value and be skeptical of anti-flying "arguments". I try really hard not to, but I'm human and I really want flying to be a good thing.

tonycondon said:
wow, my high school "newspaper" was mostly a bunch of kids goofing around for 6 days a week and then making up some crap to print on the 7th day. I think this is pretty much how most real newspapers work? Just write a bunch of stories about flying. "investigate" how to get your pilots license etc. generate good press for GA.
Not in my day, son.

We got suspended for printing a paper and had to bring in a lawyer.

I also worked on the student paper. They printed 12 of my stories and managed to credit the wrong writer EVERY TIME.

mikea said:

Yikes.

Our student paper was done by the Journalism class. The year after I was on staff (News Editor), the administration began "reviewing" it. Next issue had a red "Censored" watermark in it.

There was also an "alternative" paper called The Rock. Submissions were accepted through the vents of a locker. Nobody ever really knew whose locker it was. The Rock's most notable achievement was printing pre-signed passes (thanks to the chorus director's "signature stamp") that were indistinguishable from real passes, which could be used to get out of real classes.

The funniest part is that my best friend managed to become editor-in-chief of both the "mainstream" school paper and The Rock at the same time. :D

To the OP: I can't give any advice based on experience, but I'd imagine that you should always make sure to get two sources (don't believe anybody) and try to get both sides of the story.

Ron Levy said:
And herein lies the big challenge of *investigative* reporting as opposed to "regular" reporting. The facts are hard to come by, and even harder to verify. Because "investigative" tends to center on things that are illegal, immoral or both, the people who know/have "the facts" are disinclined to acquiesce to your request for them. That puts enormous pressure on you to go with something that is heresay, unverified, or even mere supposition on the part of the source (even yourself). Furthermore, in these situations it's not uncommon for the perpetrators to get wind of what you're doing and start conducting disinformation campaigns. If you hear the same lie from 12 different people, how do you know they are not colluding or otherwise all operating from the same original misinformation? You don't. You have only primary information that you personally observe.

Furthermore, "investigative" tends to be underground. You don't traipse around carrying a notebook and wearing a bowler with a PRESS card sticking out of the band. You must rely on cleverness and your wits. Invest in a small digital or tape recorder, but also understand the legalities in your state of taping someone without their knowledge or consent. In some places it's OK as long as you're part of the conversation, but not OK if you're eavesdropping. In other places all parties must agree to be recorded.

Investigative can be dangerous. I have looked into the business end of a handgun and wondered if I was going home that day -- and not everyone deals with that well. The stakes can be very high for people who do not want their "business" exposed and who have shown their poor regard for the law.

Ken Ibold said:
Furthermore, "investigative" tends to be underground. You don't traipse around carrying a notebook and wearing a bowler with a PRESS card sticking out of the band.

Well duh Ken! If you did you would look like an idiot. We all know that your supposed to be wearing a fedora not a bowler. :p:D

RIGHT (Fedora)
hat.gif

WRONG (Bowler)
bowler1.jpg

smigaldi said:
Well duh Ken! If you did you would look like an idiot. We all know that your supposed to be wearing a fedora not a bowler. :p:D

RIGHT (Fedora)
hat.gif

WRONG (Bowler)
bowler1.jpg
Ack! I knew bowler wasn't right, but I'm just too lazy to check my facts!!!

:goofy: :goofy: :goofy:

I did this all four years in high school, got a State Award called the Light House, and got a national honorable mention for my work. Here is what I found to be most important:

- If you have a strong opinion on a possible story, get the facts, let someone else write it. Believe me, it will be better.
- NOTHING IS OFF THE RECORD! Never let anyone take you off the record, you'll never get back on
- As a student, you will often have times where you'll hear about a story. Be sure that you identify yourself as a reporter, otherwise you'll be told to butt out. If you are still told to butt out, be sure that the person you are talking to understands that you intend to publish their lack of cooperation.
- As a student, a lot of kids will try to influence your reporting. Listen to them, but be sure that they are a reasonable source before considering them in your piece. You'll get a lot of crap.
- Be honest. There comes a time where a story just doesn't exist. Make sure you don't "manufacture" news to fit a deadline. Throw in the towel, and explain to the advisor why you failed.
- Your reputation is VERY important. Be the person that people cannot question with legitimate questions of your intentions.
- This is my personal advice: Avoid opinion pieces if you want to be taken seriously. I made this mistake my Senior year, and after that, it was never the same.

--Nick Brennan
2000 Editor For Eldorado Eagle Talon
1998 Honorable Mention, NSPA/JEA for News Writing
1999 New Mexico Lighthouse Award Winner for News Reporting
1999 3rd Place National Federation of Press Women Award, News Writing
2000 New Mexico Lighthouse Award Winner for Opinion/Editorial Writing

Last edited:
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Love the pictures!!!!!!!!!!!

SkyHog said:
Here is what I found to be most important:
This is good info, Nick. I did not start doing this until I was a senior in college and wasn't exposed to the whole student dynamics part.

From my journalist ego wall:
American Business Press Neal Awards - Finalist in category of Best Single Issue, 1997; Finalist in category of Best Regular Department, 1995.
American Society of Business Publication Editors Awards – 1st Place Best News Section, 2003 and 2004, Finalist in category of Best Case Study (1st Place Central Chapter), 1996.
Florida Magazine Association - 1993 Silver Award for best overall magazine, 1993 Bronze Award for overall writing excellence, 1993 Bronze Florida Award, 1992 Bronze Award for best feature story, 1992 Silver Award for layout and design, 1992 Silver Award for special show issue, 1991 Silver Award for overall writing excellence, 1991 Silver Award for special show issue.
Associated Press - 1986 First Place for local news coverage, 1986 Third Place for community service, 1986 Second Place for deadline news coverage.
Suburban Newspapers of America - 1986 Second Place for best overall business section.

cwyckham said:
Seriously, though, number 2 above has been mentioned twice now. It's important to realize that the person you're talking to may not even realize that they have a bias or an agenda. It's not necessarily some devious hidden agenda, it's usually just human nature.
Right. Imagine what would happen if an investigative reporter asked you about a certain aviation incident. You would put that incident in the best possible light while sticking to the facts. Expect everyone you interview to do the same. Except the "best possible light" is relevant to their point of view, not yours and not necessarily the truth.

You have to talk to many, many sources to ferret out the truth from all the stories that have been spun at you.

-Skip

mikea said:
You, too? Well, we didn't get suspended for publishing our own "free" paper, but we were threatened with such until we countered with the threat of a lawyer.

I had a few problems in my high school with journalism, legally.

I wrote a story on the dangers of Daitura (Loco Weed, Gypsum Weed, etc) and on the front page was a picture of hands holding the plant (not marijuana, btw). They wanted me to reveal who was holding the plant, and I got suspended for introducing that person to the drug. It is important that neither she nor I had any intentions of doing the drug, the school was just upset that we brought out a negative aspect in the school.

Another big one didn't involve me, but involved another reporter and the advisor. Neither happened to notice that the word "Alleged" was missing before "rapist." Oops. I'm glad I wasn't involved in that one, because it wasn't pretty.

So watch for that too - schools do not like being shown in a negative light when something bad happens.

Ron Levy said:
You, too? Well, we didn't get suspended for publishing our own "free" paper, but we were threatened with such until we countered with the threat of a lawyer.
Now that I remember we got a Temporary Restraining Order from (I think) a federal judge to get us back in class. I think I only got one day off of school, if that.

The brave, brave school administrators said it was a misunderstanding.

The school did again about 15 years later. They never learn.

Wow everyone, THANKS ALOT FOR YOUR ADVICE!!! I'm going to be referencing this thread often, and I now have an idea of where I should start my investigation. FWIW I'm a reporter for our school TV station, so I have a feeling I will (eventually) be doing mostly voice over work when it comes time to produce the segment. Can anyone recommend a voice recorder/Dictaphone that they like? Again, THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, the ideas are starting to blossom.......

Purdue

Ken Ibold said:
Furthermore, "investigative" tends to be underground. You don't traipse around carrying a notebook and wearing a bowler with a PRESS card sticking out of the band. You must rely on cleverness and your wits. Invest in a small digital or tape recorder, but also understand the legalities in your state of taping someone without their knowledge or consent. In some places it's OK as long as you're part of the conversation, but not OK if you're eavesdropping. In other places all parties must agree to be recorded.

Do you know where I can find that out, is it on a state by state basis?

Thanks,

Purdue

I think recording a conversation in a public place is legal without anybodies permission even if you are not involved in the conversation because the parties cannot presume that the conversation is private. Recording a conversation on the telephone is another matter that has different laws state by state.

Last edited:
Ahh, but JRitt, I dunno. Might be better to leave it at "Check with local laws" just in case.

What you should do is take a cross country flight with a ragtag band of rogue pilots (See Fly Coast-to-Coast for FREE)!:)
ApacheBob

Back