Any advantages in obtaining Ground Isntructor certificate before CFI?

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
I just started working on my CFI (I plan on taking my time with this one while building the minimum time to instruct with my current flying club).

I noticed that the Ground instructor certificates only require written tests (no practical/oral) and was wondering if it would be a good idea to go ahead and knock those out now while working on the CFI.

Is there any advantage in doing it that way?

I don't think there are any 'regulatory' bonuses for getting the AGI done before the CFI - you still have to log the same requirements for the CFI with the AGI as without it.

It does allow you to start teaching ground school and help perfect your teaching methods while working on the full CFI ticket, though. Not to mention the fact that I usually learn something myself when I have to study anything enough to be able to teach it.

You _MIGHT_ get a shorter oral on FOI issues for the CFI, since you won't be giving the inspector your FOI test results (you turned them in for the AGI certificate), and since he'll know you're already an instructor he may not ask as much on FOI stuff. Don't count on this though.

I know that I've learned a lot about teaching doing the ground training using my AGI/IGI and that's helping the CFI go easier. But if you're just going to get the certificate and not teach with it, it won't help much.

IIRC, a ground instructor certificate is required to obtain a gold seal instructor certificate. As Tim mentioned, it may (or may not) also reduce or eliminate questions asked in Tasks A - G of Area of Operation I in the CFI, CFII, or MEI PTS.

On my CFI initial checkride, we only reviewed task F (flight instructor characteristics and responsibilities). The inspector stated that since I held a ground instructor certificate, I was not required to be tested on any other task in that Area of Operation (Fundamentals of Instructing).

Every day that passes after taking the FOI exam is a day where you might lose the test results, OKC might have a database glitch, or the test center might be found fraudulent -- or any other calamity which could require you to take that satanic exam over again.

Doing a quick AGI or IGI allows you to cash that mofo in NOW and you can begin the much happier "after the FOI exam" portion of your life that much sooner.

:D

My CFI instructor advised me to go ahead and get it, and he had me teaching practice lessons to him at first, then real ground lessons to students before I got my CFI. Gave me a lot more confidence actually teaching my first ground school lessons and pre-flight briefings once I got the CFI.

Ryan

On my CFI initial checkride, we only reviewed task F (flight instructor characteristics and responsibilities). The inspector stated that since I held a ground instructor certificate, I was not required to be tested on any other task in that Area of Operation (Fundamentals of Instructing).
Just so others don't get the wrong impression and skip some vital preparation for the CFI initial, your inspector just gave you a 'freebie'.

There is no provision mentioned in the CFI PTS which exempts anyone for anything by having the AGI.

As a CFI, be very familiar with the introduction portion of each PTS which has a lot of info that people seem to miss - it's not in the regs.

Under area of Operation I, there is a note that says the examiner shall select TASK F and one other.

In the introduction, it says these notes are required TASKs and must be done. The examiner can elect to do or not do other TASKs, but not the noted TASKs.

Your main advantage in doing the AGI first is to be able to whip up a Ground School Class in your flying club, and get good at teachin and learnin in preparation for the job. :wink2:

Thanks for the replies - I am thinking that it is the best way for me to go, particularly based on what Nosehair and Ryan mentioned - gives me a opportunity to practice my skills helping out with ground schools which should translate into a better checkride experience whether the examiner gives me a break or not.

It does allow you to start teaching ground school and help perfect your teaching methods while working on the full CFI ticket, though. Not to mention the fact that I usually learn something myself when I have to study anything enough to be able to teach it.
Bingo.

Thanks for the replies - I am thinking that it is the best way for me to go, particularly based on what Nosehair and Ryan mentioned - gives me a opportunity to practice my skills helping out with ground schools which should translate into a better checkride experience whether the examiner gives me a break or not.
Think of it one other way as well. It gives you an opportunity (if you excel) to start trying to build a reputation as a good instructor who is friendly, knowledgeable, and available.

Ryan

Back