Anxiety meds and SSRI's

Paul S

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Paul
Hi there. I'm 42 and have dealt with mild social anxiety for my whole life; nothing crippling, but pretty annoying at times. It was finally diagnosed in my late 20's and I started taking some meds for it, specifically paxel and xanax. I've been off of them a couple of times since then, but life is just better on the medicine.

I decided about a year and a half ago to chase my helicopter license dream; I am currently a student pilot with only about 30 hours under my belt. I wasn't sure where it would lead me as I already own and operate a successfull engineering firm, but this is something I've wanted to do since I was a kid.

When it came time to solo I was promptly denied my medical cert for the anxiety meds. That's no surprise to most of you, I'm sure, but it was to me, considering I've be dealing with this for so long and never had any side effects with the meds (and my school never mentioned anything about this). I fully understand the FAA's position here but am looking for a way to continue the progress I've already made (and not waste the financial committment).

I asked for reconsideration and was denied, but at least they gave me some steps to take if I want to continue (I'll also note that my main instructer provided a letter to the FAA stating that in the time we had been working together he never witnessed anything that gave him concern and noted that I was a very safe pilot). But basically if my doctor agrees, go off the medicine for 90 days and give all the reports and diagnoses to them for further reconsideration. I'm at about 120 days now and about to resubmit everything.

At this point though, I'm back where I was a decade or so ago with worries and quesy stomachs and what not at various times. I see the letter the FAA released in 2010 about these SSRI's and am wondering if there is something there that I would be allowed to take.

Finally to my question (thanks for reading this far). All I see is the term SSRI's. Is there actually a medicine list that says what is encompassed by the term SSRI?

Thanks for the help! :)
Paul

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back