Anxiety and class 3

U

Unregistered

Hi all,
I am hoping to apply for a 3rd class medical, but have had a diagnosis of anxiety in my past. It is completely resolved. It was not associated with depression. Had a VERY rough job situation, temporary marriage problems as a result, yadda-yadda, and got some mild anxiety.

Went to see couples counselor and personal counselor. Couples counselor assigned 300.4 (dysthymia), which he applied to my wife, but the bill is in my name... GRRR! Personal counselor assigned a diagnosis of anxiety-NOS (300.00). Counseling helped. i was on an ssri for just under 2 years. I also got neurontin for sleep for a short time at the beginning.

Currently, off ALL meds for a year. No anxiety. I kind of wish I had just powered through it in retrospect.

Am I permanently screwed because of the anxiety diagnosis? If it would perhaps help, I could ask them to change codes to more appropriate (especially the 300.4, which was for my wife and perhaps insurance) -- would that help?

I Know I will DEFINITELY need help with the process (a la Dr. Bruce) IF it is even possible. But if its not even possible because of this single issue, ill save everybody's time.

Thank you.

unreg, you need a new visit to your doc (I hope you have one. If not, time for a "wellness visit"). Have him do an assessment.

The statement (on letterhead) that we need is:
(1) Need for treatment was "reactive".
(2) Need for treatment passed, over a year ago.
(3) You have no residual symptoms and no need of further treatment.

The Verbiage needs be PRECISE as this verbiage excludes all conditions that are lifelong (except for chronic simple depression, which when in remission is certifiable).

Make certain the note contains that you were treated 3 years ago and have been off 1 year ago.

If you get that, an AME can issue you in the office on a phone call to the agency. Even if the AME is lilly livered and defers, with that letter you will eventually be issued by the AGENCY when they finally get around to review.

Wow. A whopping 36 minutes to get a detailed, authoritative response to a plea for help. Very impressive, Doc. And much appreciated, not just by the original poster but also by all of us who draw comfort in knowing your expertise exists and is freely shared. Thank you.

Certainly a diagnosis for a family member that isn't you, but which happened on your insurance, doesn't apply to you?

If your kid goes to the doctor and gets a diagnosis and it shows up on your insurance plan, how is it applicable to you?

I doubt your wife's issue is what you need to worry about--it's the personal issue you mentioned.

What a relief! Thank you so much for that very detailed reply, Dr. Bruce. I can get back for a wellness visit very easily. I also agree with LDJones... no secret you're an invaluable asset to so many of us, but fast to boot!

@the other unreg.:
Well, that's right. Under most circumstances, I wouldn't care what is under my name on the family insurance policy. However, I would not want to find out later that there is a insurance-documented diagnosis that doesn't belong to me that would be disqualifying to a medical I might hold.

My name is the primary name associated with the couples counselor through our insurance. So, by all offical records, it *might* appear to anyone who might get access to those records that the dysthymia diagnosis belongs to me. As far as I can tell, he put that diagnosis code in before he even knew whose name was going on the bill.

Nevertheless, it seems that that does not matter. But I just wanted to make sure. I might still ask him to get me a note to that effect to keep in my back pocket, in case there ever is any question. The latter, of course, in addition to what Dr. Bruce suggested.

Thanks again, Dr. Bruce!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back