Anvil cloud this evening

Based on radar from around that time, the storm was between Elkhart and Hugoton. About 65 SM away.

I know exactly where you were. I’ve sprayed a lot of ground in that area.
I remember chatting with you about that. One large stretch of highway is closed for construction so ag planes have been using parts as a landing strip.

In best Paul Hogan accent..."That ain't an anvil cloud. THIS is an anvil cloud...."
clash.jpg

This is three separate photos stitched together. The cloud is about 20 miles away; the plane just a half-mile or so from me when I took the picture. The same plane is also visible in the center part of the image.

Ron Wanttaja

I was flying from Sacramento to Minneapolis in the Hawker once, tracking on the south side of a line of thunderstorms. My copilot pointed at the anvil, which was basically solid for a couple hundred miles, and said, “Classic warm front.”

I said, “you’re telling me that a ‘classic warm front’ comes south out of Canada and makes thunderstorms in excess of 50,000 feet high?”

“Yup.”

:rolleyes:

I was flying from Sacramento to Minneapolis in the Hawker once, tracking on the south side of a line of thunderstorms. My copilot pointed at the anvil, which was basically solid for a couple hundred miles, and said, “Classic warm front.”

I said, “you’re telling me that a ‘classic warm front’ comes south out of Canada and makes thunderstorms in excess of 50,000 feet high?”

“Yup.”

:rolleyes:

:eek:

We had one the other night

Attachments

• 08287C94-4851-45EE-8FB6-A2A47C05DACA.jpeg
    08287C94-4851-45EE-8FB6-A2A47C05DACA.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 26
In best Paul Hogan accent..."That ain't an anvil cloud. THIS is an anvil cloud...."
clash.jpg

This is three separate photos stitched together. The cloud is about 20 miles away; the plane just a half-mile or so from me when I took the picture. The same plane is also visible in the center part of the image.

Ron Wanttaja
Cool. The cloud in my picture may have been 65-70 SM away. It was probably way more spectacular close up.

My dad lives in Rio Rancho, NM, and just about every day during summer he has a front row seat viewing the show produced over the Valle Grande, a volcano caldera directly north of him in the Jemez mountains. The massive CBs and the anvils are in sharp contrast against the cobalt blue New Mexico skies.

Back