Antonov AN-2 owning?

Seems to be a silly proposition for most folks, there are at least 4 locally rotting away...

That said, if you pick one up, I want a ride.. :)

If your wallet is fat enough, go for it. The engine is close to TBO (and we know what that means...) so be prepared to overhaul a Soviet copy of a Wright Cyclone R-1820. How much is it worth to you to fly the largest biplane in the world?

I've always liked them, airplane version of a off-road RV!

Don't think the purchase or MX would be that bad at all, just the fuel and oil bills might be a little crazy, especially for the cruise speed.

That is a pretty one though!

One could apply that sentiment to pretty well every personal GA airplane, including those folks that own warbirds, really old vintage, and the like. I know if I tried to rationalise this habit based on economics alone the numbers would probably horrify the Minister of Finance in my household.

If you can keep an airplane like this flying, and expect to get joy out of owning and flying something unique, why not?

1. Licensed as Experimental Exhibition, which means some restrictions.
2. Expensive on gas and oil.
3. From someone I talked to who'd flown one, they aren't all that nice to fly. It's an airborne truck, and it handles like one.

Ron Wanttaja

According to the website AN2flyers.org, figure 2 - 5 quarts of oil and 45-55 gallons of fuel per hour. They explain the certification issue this way:

The An-2 can only be certified as an Experimental-Exhibition, Experimental-Research, or (possibly, but not accomplished yet) as a Restricted-Agricultural (crop duster) aircraft. Current FAA policy (apparantly at the direction of the state department) is that this fine aircraft will never be allowed to be certified in any way in which it can be used for commercial purposes in the USA involving passengers, cargo, or parachute jumping. As best we can understand, this policy is designed to protect Cessna, Piper, and Beech from market loss and applies to other Soviet designed aircraft as well. Some FAA inspectors will tell you that it is because the aircraft was never approved under FAR-23 procedures since it was designed prior to normalization of relations between the USA and former communist countries. However, close inspection of other FARs (part-21) reveals that such aircraft could be certified in the USA after passing a conformity check, which the FAA is not presently allowing for An-2s. [...] Since the experimental aircraft certification process and certificate issuance is all done at the local FSDO level of the FAA, the local inspector is the one that will decide what limits will be imposed. Unfortunately, there has been little consistancy in the certifications or inspectors. Some An-2s have been certified with permission to operate only with minimum crew (two pilots) and others with a full ship (two crew plus twelve passengers), or somewhere in between. Some have been restricted to operating only within 50 miles of the home airport, and others with limits up to 600 miles and pre-approved for a wide array of destination airports. We've heard at least one An-2 was certified with no travel restrictions but have not been able to identify this aircraft. You can typically expect VFR only operational limits, and absolutely no parachuting. To sum it up, your limits will depend on what you can arrange with the local FSDO inspector. Some are more tolerant and liberal than others.

I had the pleasure of flying in one in Bavaria a couple of years ago. Photos here; video below.

1. Licensed as Experimental Exhibition, which means some restrictions.
2. Expensive on gas and oil.
3. From someone I talked to who'd flown one, they aren't all that nice to fly. It's an airborne truck, and it handles like one.

Ron Wanttaja

I've heard #2 and #3 also said about my Aztec. It too is becoming a bit of a conversation piece at many in transit ramps now.:)

What about having it registered in another more liberal country, where you can easily convert your license and operate here like that.

Some one give me an estimate of how much it will cost to recover and repaint one of these monsters?
ceconite at 16.00 per yard and red paint at 500 per gallon plus harder and thinner at 100 per gallon.

I'd think 30k, think I'm high or low?

Some one give me an estimate of how much it will cost to recover and repaint one of these monsters?
ceconite at 16.00 per yard and red paint at 500 per gallon plus harder and thinner at 100 per gallon.

Only the wings (except the upper surface of the top wing forward of the spar) and control surfaces are fabric, but that's still plenty. Wing area is about 770 sq. ft., span 60 ft.; overall length 42 ft., height 13.6 ft.

Last edited:

Your doing the work yourself? You better be for thirty grand. You have not mentioned your current fiscal situation which is vital . Related to Warren buffet or recent powerball winner? you'd be far better off finding the nicest 450 Stearman available and buying it. Lots more fun and you'd be at least a hundred grand ahead than buying that lumbering dog. Try to imagine what you might find when the old fabric is removed! for starters!

Last edited:
Why the heck would you restore one? They are dirt cheap, just buy a nice one.

The one in that add looked quite nice and was about the same price as a 172.

I don't see where the need for huge bucks and huge restorations is comming from, only expense would be the time figuring out the paperwork so you could really use it and after that the money for the fuel burn.

As best we can understand, this policy is designed to protect Cessna, Piper, and Beech from market loss

Lol.

I guess those manufacturers are trying hard to corner the market on single engine 12 place piston planes.
DeHaviland would have been the only company that competed with the AN2.

As a novelty for an air tour operator in a unique location or maybe for a short range island shuttle this may make sense. Other than that, they are even dropping from commercial service in the jurisdictions where they are legal.

I've flown in them as a kid. These things were designed for a passenger/cargo services to unprepared and short runways. Workhorse of soviet local aviation. If you can't use it, you need a helo. It was also my first experience with a real sim. Complete with a moving picture view out of the "window".

They'd made turboprop version too. AN3 was a flop. Pilots complained at turbine lag

Our museum has one I have flown in it although not flown it yet. Cool planes but as mentioned burn 45-50 gph and if they don't use 5 gph of oil they leak that much. I am always amazed to see how quickly it gets off the ground and just how slow they will fly once those slats swing out. The experimental exhibition is a bit of a pain as it restricts what you can do and how far you can go and such and have to let the FAA know what you are doing but at the cost of operating it you don't wan't to fly it too far.

Only the wings (except the upper surface of the top wing forward of the spar) and control surfaces are fabric, but that's still plenty. Wing area is about 770 sq. ft., span 60 ft.; overall length 42 ft., height 13.6 ft.

30K is typical for a Cub/Champ/whatever, including material and labor. They have wing areas in the range of 170 square feet. 770 square feet means a LOT of stitching sheets together (more labor) since the fabric is only 60 inches wide or so. Need a big shop, too. I remember parking my friend's Taylocraft next to an AN-2 in the late '80s; the aileron on the Antonov's lower wing was nearly as big as one of the T-Cart's wings.

And that assumes that you find no structural issues under the old fabric. Corrosion, cracks, bent stuff. Sure, it's a single-engine airplane. That's about where the similarity with any other piston single ends.

30K is typical for a Cub/Champ/whatever, including material and labor.

I know of two shops here in the great northwest that will recover a cub type for 15k or less.

Let us assume that you find one of these beasts that is in a safe condition to fly.
Can you get a ferry permit to fly it to a place that can do the import inspections required to get an N number?

Last edited:
Why the heck would you restore one? They are dirt cheap, just buy a nice one.
TINST "there is no such thing" Every one I've ever seen for sale is junk. The ones that don't require a lot of work and paper chasing are in the hands of owners that will only be sold in the estate sale.

TINST "there is no such thing" Every one I've ever seen for sale is junk. The ones that don't require a lot of work and paper chasing are in the hands of owners that will only be sold in the estate sale.

This one looks nice

img.axd

I'd look into keeping it registered elsewhere if I could convert my ticket and find someone who could work on it, presuming it could be flown privately here like that.

It's a 12 seat STOL plane, which looks like a clean airframe, for the price of a 172N!

That said, if I were in the market
Depends on what a zero timed engine and prop go for, discount the plane to include and crated fresh engine and prop and it's a sweet deal if you're in the market for a AN2.

As I recall many of these Soviet engines are not super expensive to start with.

Think buying a nice airframe would be way cheaper than a restoration, or a nice engine on a so so airframe.

Imagine the parking bill. There ain't a t-hangar in the world that'll fit it, and it's larger than a PC-12!

Last article I read the fuel cost was 325 an hour not counting the gallons of oil needed. Can't be used commercially ,if you fill the seats you may need a type rating. Tried to buy one years ago,now I'm over it.

Last article I read the fuel cost was 325 an hour not counting the gallons of oil needed. Can't be used commercially ,if you fill the seats you may need a type rating. Tried to buy one years ago,now I'm over it.

According to wiki gross is 12k, which is under the type threshold.

MoGas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just love the wind-up starter ;-)

Seems to be a silly proposition for most folks, there are at least 4 locally rotting away...

That said, if you pick one up, I want a ride.. :)

I've seen a couple at Moontown, but that was a few years ago. And they also appeared to be rotting away.

Last edited:
I've seen a couple at Moontown, but that was a few years ago. And they also appeared to be rotting away.

Those moved from Moontown a couple years ago, I've heard they went to a "private strip north of Moontown" but haven't seen them. There are also 2 at KDCU.

Those moved from Moontown a couple years ago, I've heard they went to a "private strip north of Moontown" but haven't seen them. There are also 2 at KDCU.

Alrighty then, we're up to 4 in Alabama, we could start an airline to Gulf Shores from North Alabama! :rofl:

Burns 1 gal per minute.

If IIRC, this is a plane that has a requirement of two pilots. Is this correct? For me personally, this would take a lot of the fun out of it.

As mentioned above, FAA requirements may vary from one FSDO to another. But AFAIK in Europe it's single pilot; and that's the way it was when I flew in one in commercial sightseeing service in Germany two years ago. See http://www.classicwings-bavaria.com - you can pay extra and ride in the right seat instead of back in the passenger cabin.

MTOW is just under 12,500, should be single pilot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back