Antidepressant question EMA

GeorgeU

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
GeorgeU
Hi everyone I’m new here. I am a sophomore in college and realized that what I want to do is fly. The college I’m looking at transferring to requires you to get medical certificate before being accepted. I am currently on Cymbalta. I know that is not approved by FAA. From my understanding I would need to discontinue use for two months for me to pass my medical? How would the EMA know that I’ve been on Cymbalta?

I'm not sure what EMA is, but the FAA will not issue you a medical if you are currently taking an antidepressant. There are four that can be approved under a special issuance, but it's not just a matter of switching to one of those. Whether discontinuing the antidepressant or not is SUFFICIENT to get issued depends on stuff you've not told us. Not only does the medical application ask about what you are CURRENTLY taking, it's also going to ask about doctor visits and the history in the path that led you to be taking the medication (at which point the medical examiner will certainly ask you if you were prescribed anything). If you try to lie about your history on the application, it's a federal CRIME. And they don't even need to start criminal proceedings to take away any certificates (medical or pilot) and hit you with civil penalties (fines) once they catch you out in your lie.

You should find a good HIMS AME and have a frank, pre-application discussion with the doctor. There are at least two on this board.

Google: 27 pilots indicted and
4 delta pilots indicted

....and see how falsifying is working out for them....

How would the EMA know that I’ve been on Cymbalta?

Assuming you meant AME, they will know because you are going to truthfully answer the questions on the medical history. Many of those questions begin with "Have you ever"

You're kinda stuck like chuck there.

All those "have you ever" questions end with a place where you put your signature with some annoying language about certifying the previous information being true and correct.

The good news? They'll take you at your word when you answer and certify to the answers.
The bad news? If it's determined you lied to them you'll lose everything you've spent on flying, your right to ever fly again, and perhaps even your right to live without prison guards dictating your every movement.

Honesty will be inconvenient at first. Dishonesty will prove even less convenient, and permanent.

I am not making any specific recommendation, but do think it is important to be objective when talking about this type of legal issue.

The potential penalties when lying are severe. The odds of being caught, based on the total number of cases pursued by the FAA on record, are likely low, because the FAA trusts people.

I am not aware of anyone actually doing any prison or jail time on this, but certificates have certainly been pulled and civil penalties assessed.

Additionally, most of the better AMEs will not even try to straighten out a case involving falsification.

Carefully consider how you choose to answer this type of question under penalty of perjury.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back