Anti- Virus / Firewall Software

Geico266

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geico
What do you guys use? My free McAfee software just died and AOL says they don't support it anymore.

What do you guys use?

Avast for anti-virus and ZoneAlarm for firewall. Both free. Answer is different if you're on 64-bit Vista.

Avast for anti-virus and ZoneAlarm for firewall. Both free. Answer is different if you're on 64-bit Vista.
Avast seems to work for 64 bit Vista... at least it has for me.

Avast seems to work for 64 bit Vista... at least it has for me.
That's good to know. Either it or ZoneAlarm didn't work on 64-bit Vista when we tried installing them on Leslie's machine about a year ago, so maybe they've changed. I just checked ZoneAlarm's site, and they now say that they support it.

I'm partial to AVG or Avast these days for antivirus. Trend Micro is very good, as well, and some versions include a firewall. I don't use any software firewalls on my workstations, however (except for the Windows Firewall on my Windows machines) because I have a firewall on the gateway.

Anti-virus is no fun. If something is a virus I generally open it to see how it works and what it does.

You're one sick puppy, Jesse.

Virtual machines are great, aren't they?

I used to save the viruses and try them on a "clean" isolated machine. Then the AV programs stripped them off early on and I ran out of time to mess with it.

I'm using ESET on the netbook and AVG on the others. I will probably dump AVG and go to ESET.... AVG is just downright too slow (to the point that it's stealing enough cycles to occasionally cause keyboard to miss strokes). ESET is fast, though I'm a bit less pleased with the firewall.

Anti-virus is no fun. If something is a virus I generally open it to see how it works and what it does.

Hehe... That reminds me of my "virus software" of choice back in the day: ResEdit. Open system file (live, while booted off it, with no backup!). Find nVir (or whatever virus) resource. Examine. Delete. Muck with STR#s and PICTs. Reboot. Wait for Dad to say "What the heck did you do to my computer this time?!?" when he sees boot screen that says something other than "Welcome to Macintosh." :D

Back