Anti-icing paint?

RotorDude

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
GliderDude
Can this stuff work as an anti-icing solution?

Its manufacturer claims:
Anti-Icing
The superhydrophobic properties of Ultra-Ever dry keeps coated materials completely dry, eliminating the formation of ice.

superhydrophobic?

I am thinking a transparent coating of it on the windshield would not only protect against ice, but rain too.
Unless it's just a scam -- I'd love to find out more.

Someone really needs to work on the aviation aspect of this kind of stuff. Being FIKI (ok, maybe not legally, but practically) capable with a coat of paint on the leading edges would be game changing for GA.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of super hydrophobic coatings is that they're not the most durable of things. If flying through a rainstorm can chip paint off of a leading edge, imagine what it could do to a thin coating of this stuff.

Have them pee on a frozen wall.....with supercooled pee.

Not sure this concept will work for leading edge of airframe. My bet is....supercooled liquid on a frozen leading edge of a wing....the water still sticks.

My .02

Have them pee on a frozen wall.....with supercooled pee.

Not sure this concept will work for leading edge of airframe. My bet is....supercooled liquid on a frozen leading edge of a wing....the water still sticks.

My .02

Would be interesting to find out for sure.

That stuff has a finish like sandpaper. It is not smooth like typical paint. And it is somewhat opaque. Not really good for flying.

Edit: the version they sell at hardware stores does anyway. Not sure if Nissan has conquered that. maybe.

I've seen this idea brought up a few times before. I believe someone on Beechtalk coated their leading edges with something similar and it was rough like sandpaper and eroded pretty quickly.

I've seen this idea brought up a few times before. I believe someone on Beechtalk coated their leading edges with something similar and it was rough like sandpaper and eroded pretty quickly.

Here is a blurb about the Nissan Note.
If the nanotech molecules can maintain "a layer of air" over the surface, that could be pretty slick aerodynamically.
Even if current versions have some shortcomings, nothing says they've maxed out the potential technology, and specifically for aviation applications.

Here is a blurb about the Nissan Note.
If the nanotech molecules can maintain "a layer of air" over the surface, that could be pretty slick aerodynamically.
Even if current versions have some shortcomings, nothing says they've maxed out the potential technology, and specifically for aviation applications.

What was on the left? There are car waxes that come close to that, but we all know they wear off quickly.

Also this line makes me go meh:

A spokesman said: ‘So far, the coating has responded well to common use cases including rain, spray, frost, sleet and standing water.’
Frost?! That's more of a static phenomenon associated with freezing condensation.

Sleet is a big ole meh-burger because it's already in ice pellet form. It doesn't stick in the first place.

Show me one that can really resist ****ty grimy slush and mag chloride and I will beat a path to their doorstep. Still you can't let perfect be the enemy of better.

Last edited:
Back