Answers to common questions

Greebo

N9017H - C172M (1976)
Display Name

Display name:
Retired Evil Overlord
I've gotten a few questions via email that I'm going to add here as a 'sticky thread' to demonstrate what a sticky thread is, and as a sort of mini-faq (in addition to the FAQ which is in the navbar (the menu bar along the top of the forum).

How do I attach an image file?
When you post a message, just below the "Submit New Thread" button is a button to add attachments called "Manage Attachments"

Is there no spell checker?
There is not a spell checker in the basic installation of vbulletin. However there are some add-ons or "hacks" that I have not yet applied which enhance vBulletin tremendously. One of those is a Spell Checker. I will be posting a list of proposed "hacks" to the software in the "Management Council" forum which I have just given you access to.

Why can't I delete the root message of a thread I started?
Thread deletion requires a higher level of permission - as a user you can blank out your message but you can't delete other peoples replies. Deletion of a message at the root of a thread would require deletion of all the child posts (vBulletin does not "orphan" messages) and users do not have that authority. If you have a topic you feel should be deleted, please contact a moderator and they will determine the proper course of action.

I don't like my username - how do I change it?
I can change it for you to whatever you prefer. When I do, it will mean you'll have to log in again under that new username.

Last edited:
Re: Questions received so far...

Can I get posts emailed to me?
Yes! You can subscribe to individual threads, or to an entire forum. When subscribing to individual threads, you can receive notification every time someone replies to that thread. For Forum based subscriptions, you can receive daily or weekly "digest" emails.

To subscribe to a Forum, enter that forum (Example: Hangar Talk) and click the Forum Tools menu directly at the top forum list on the right. From that menu, click 'Subscribe to this Forum'. Select your delivery options, and you're done. Daily or Weekly you'll be sent a summary of all posts from that forum.

For thread subscriptions, enter that thread, and proceed as if you were subscribing to a forum, only use the Thread Tools menu instead.

Can I Post via Email?
No, we're sorry, that feature is not supported at this time.

looking for Custom User Text Field to enter info such as Chip has between his Username and avatar, also Chuck has.
tks

Let'sgoflying! said:
looking for Custom User Text Field to enter info such as Chip has between his Username and avatar, also Chuck has.
tks
It's not enabled yet for everyone. Look for changes as Pilots of America continues to develop!

Brian Austin said:
It's not enabled yet for everyone. Look for changes as Pilots of America continues to develop!
Hokay, no problem... I will just alter my signature line so you all will know who to blame!

Dave Taylor

Greebo said:
Why can't I delete the root message of a thread I started?
Thread deletion requires a higher level of permission - as a user you can blank out your message but you can't delete other peoples replies. Deletion of a message at the root of a thread would require deletion of all the child posts (vBulletin does not "orphan" messages) and users do not have that authority. If you have a topic you feel should be deleted, please contact a moderator and they will determine the proper course of action.
Is vBulletin available so I could use it on my website? If so, what does it require?
- Aunt Peggy

Greebo said:
Is there no spell checker?
There is not a spell checker in the basic installation of vbulletin. However there are some add-ons or "hacks" that I have not yet applied which enhance vBulletin tremendously. One of those is a Spell Checker. I will be posting a list of proposed "hacks" to the software in the "Management Council" forum which I have just given you access to.
Or you can type your message in your favorite word processing program, run spell check, then cut and paste the message. :D

Greebo said:
I will be posting a list of proposed "hacks" to the software in the "Management Council" forum which I have just given you access to.

Chuck,

I can't seem to access this "Management Council" forum... Where is it? ;)

flyingcheesehead said:
Chuck,

I can't seem to access this "Management Council" forum... Where is it? ;)
We could tell you, but then we'd have to...

wbarnhill said:
actually do work and that would be exhausting? ;)
The management reserves the right to assign custom titles that are extremely embarassing to members who earn it... ;)

Greebo said:
The management reserves the right to assign custom titles that are extremely embarassing to members who earn it... ;)

*gulp*

*steps slowly away from the thread*

Bump!

There. With all this discussion of "Oldest thread ever resurrected" I figured I'd just go all the way back as far as it's possible to go, so y'all could quit resurrecting threads! This is thread #8 on PoA, and it's the first publicly-accessible thread in the system. So :p I win. :D

Nice to have this thread alive. I never would have seen it otherwise.
And... What about custom titles that aren't embarrassingly earned?
Can I be "Generalissimo"?

(Okay, that's sort of embarrassing.)

Back