Answer me these questions three...

Steve said:
1. If you don't log out but just close your browser session while logged in how long does your user name stay listed in the "members online" list?
I don't know this software, but I'll take a guess. The server hosting the site maintains variables about who is logged on - session variables in IIS, I don't know what they're called on a UNIX box. These variables are used to display who is online among other things. When you log off, the server will take care of getting rid of your info in these variables. If you just close your browser, the server doesn't know you're gone. There is an admin. defined time limit for maintaining these variables, so if your browser doesn't hit the server for that time limit (say 20 minutes or so) the server will figure you've gone away, delete the variables, and you won't be logged on anymore. Until then, however, you appear to be logged on.

Steve said:
2. When you select "Mark ALL Forums Read" does that reset the counter for just the forums shown on your current "New Posts" lists (which may have been open for, say, 10 minutes) or does it remove all threads, including ones that may have new posts during the 10 minutes you did not refresh your "New Posts" list?
Another guess. I suspect the software marks everything (including the new posts) read.
Steve said:
3. Okay, I lied, I only had 2 questions...:D
Pants on fire.

Steve said:
1. If you don't log out but just close your browser session while logged in how long does your user name stay listed in the "members online" list?
15 minutes from the time of your last click of any sort that sends a message back to the server.
2. When you select "Mark ALL Forums Read" does that reset the counter for just the forums shown on your current "New Posts" lists (which may have been open for, say, 10 minutes) or does it remove all threads, including ones that may have new posts during the 10 minutes you did not refresh your "New Posts" list?
The latter. It sets your "last read" pointers current to the moment you click on the link.
3. Okay, I lied, I only had 2 questions...:D
My faith in you is completely and utterly destroyed.

Ok, not really. :)

Back