ANR Headsets - Care & Maintenance...

Armageddon Aviator

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Alon Smolarski
So, how do you take care of your beloved ANR headset ?

Soapy water ? Silicon lubricant ? Both ?

Any tips ?

No special care. I'm religious about checking the batteries after every flight and changing them right away if they are low. A leaking battery would mess up your day. I also keep a few spare microphone socks and change them out if they get ugly or stinky.

I toss my work Bose in the case after the flight, and the case goes in my flight bag (a back pack). The work Bose is my oldest set (about 8 years old) and works fine despite looking a bit beat up.

The Bose I use in my Tango stays plugged into my Tango. My passenger Bose tends to stay there as well.

Batteries?? I change them when they start to fail. Lithiums are what I use, so they last a long time.

One thing you don't want to do is leave them in the plane on a hot day. My Zulu battery case melted and deformed to the point the volume controls would not slide. :eek:

Light speed replaced it under warranty. :eek:

Even after I told them what happened. :eek:

Customer service anyone? :idea:

Light speed Zulu's rock. :rockon:

Maintenance? Replace the ear pads every 400 hours. ;)

Replace the ear seals after a few years because they started to flake.

Absolutely nothing.

Batteries? bah, I installed a panel power supply in my airplane. :)

My headsets have been all over creation, with the only maintenance done to change the ear seals when they wear out, and to change the batteries when the light starts to flash. I always carry spare batteries, and they last about fifty hours.

They've been left in hot airplanes in Saudi Arabia, frozen in Siberia, dropped in the rain in Hong Kong, and nearly stolen in Africa, and still do just fine.

My QC-15 with the Uflymic has had untold numbers of deadhead legs and commercial flights, plugged into a music player or the airplane entertainment system, and has been jammed into suitcases, flight bags, and seatbacks for years with no ill effects.

My other Bose have been abused much longer, and are equally hardy.

Wipe sweat off them, throw them in the bag. If they can't survive that, I'll buy something else.

Keep them clean with a silicone cloth....? They sit on the seat of the primary plane I fly when I'm not wearing them, the plane lives in the hangar when it's not on the ramp.

I've never had a issue with leaky batteries, I get a few weeks out of a pair of AAs on my Zulus.

We have 4 Bose sets, the ear seals last a couple or three years, less if you put the headset on before your glasses.:mad2: I found a vendor on EBay that sells the ear seals with new foam pads that go inside the ear cups, $25.00 including shipping.:D I tried them on the last set I bought, they were used and the seals were trashed, but I only paid $300 for them so I didnt mind spending $25 more.:D other than that I have never even wiped them off.:yikes:

We have 4 Bose sets, the ear seals last a couple or three years, less if you put the headset on before your glasses.:mad2: I found a vendor on EBay that sells the ear seals with new foam pads that go inside the ear cups, $25.00 including shipping.:D I tried them on the last set I bought, they were used and the seals were trashed, but I only paid $300 for them so I didnt mind spending $25 more.:D other than that I have never even wiped them off.:yikes:

My Bose A20 manual warns "never remove the inside foam pads"...

???

My mattress says never to cut the tags off, too. ;)

It's a little different from that. There is an "except by end user" notation that makes all the difference.

My ANR goes in the bag. I don't even check the battery, as the headset will work fine as passive without it. While I've seen AA batteries leak, I've never seen a 9V do that. And I'll take the $20 risk (assuming HI doesn't just warranty it).

These things were designed to be used in this manner.

I replace the batteries, that's about it.
After a while the ear cushions and mike muff gets cruddy and will need to be replaced.
Lightspeed while they sell these things has always just handed me ones when I inquired at Airventure as to how to get them.

Back