ANR batteries keep dying too fast?

Archammer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
FlyingSchmidt
I've seen a few posts lately about losing battery life in their ANR systems on their headsets, and so I thought I'd give you guys the answer to fix this problem for anyone having quick drains on your ANR headsets (this includes our headset models as well)

You need to make sure that you are not using "Alkaline" batteries in your ANR modules. Those are the most common and more expensive of the batteries, and are designed for high draw utilities.

Your ANR system needs what's called a slow-drain or low draw battery system, and that is using the less expensive Heavy Duty ZnCl batteries or the new High Density Lithium battery (9v only). You are looking for words like "slow-drain" "Carbon Zinc" when shopping. Not all batteries are the same. More expensive does not mean better in batteries! (Or headsets for that matter, ha!)

Here are perfect batteries to use for an ANR system in any headset:

http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Heavy-Duty-Batteries.aspx

However, there are some great rechargeable options in the Carbon Zinc or NiZn Heavy Duty line as well.

If you want to spend the extra money, and have a 9v ANR system, Lithium makes a 9v: (http://www.rayovac.com/Products/Lithium-Batteries.aspx) and it should last in the neighborhood of 500 hours. We haven't done our testing using our system yet, so that is a simple guess. Be wary though, that battery is larger than a standard 9v and may not fit in your housing very well. Also, there are no rechargeable versions of these batteries.

You should be able to get the Rayovac Heavy Duties at any Walmart or other superstores. Just look for the Blue and Yellow batteries on the rack.

When the new Air batteries start showing up and we test them, I'll modify my post, until then...

I hope that helps all of you with getting the best battery life out of your ANR systems, and now you get to stop spending $5 a battery to only have to trash them after 10 hours! Then with all that money you're saving, you can come get me so we can go fly!

Last edited:
I use formerly Sanyo, now Panasonic Eneloop brand low discharge rechargable NiMH AA and AAA batteries for my ANR headsets and flashlights.

Why does the Bose A20 headset say to use alkaline batteries only and not lithium?

Why does the Bose A20 headset say to use alkaline batteries only and not lithium?

My thoughts exactly.

Depending on the manufacturer, some "automatic shutoff" features will leave ANR on if the headset is plugged in. I almost always unplug mine.

Good information but I don't have an issue with alkalines. I throw about 8 AA Duracell's into my glove box that came out of my handheld radio at annual (after being in service for a year in the radio).

I usually have two or four left when I toss eight more in the next year. About 100 hours of flying per year. I have two lightspeed ANRs. The passenger set is used only about 25% of the time.

Build a battery eliminator and plug it into the battery slot and the other end into the 12v power. Another solution is to make an adapter and connect it to an 11.3v LiPo in the 1000 to 4400 mah range.
Just make sure you use an approved charger on the LiPo or it WILL go nuclear on you.
I've plugged an 11.3v directly into an ANR headset without any problem, but if you are nervous, use a 9v zener to regulate the output.

Because of the Bluetooth. They assume you'll be running music and phone all the time. Most don't. The older Lithiums are known to be dangerous.

Either way, the better option for a headset is my recommendation of Heavy Duty ZnCl "low drain" batteries. Try it out and see if it works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
So what type would you recommend for a hand held radio (aa size) ??

A handheld radio I'd put alkalines in. That's a rather high demand (for transit) and the alkalines will not tend to self discharge.

Oddly, I've had no real problem wiht alks in my ANR headsets. They seem to last fine. In fact, I can usually take the moribund ones out of the handheld com and gps and get some more life out of them in my headsets.

All ANR batteries die too quickly for me. My Halos provide almost-ANR performance, ultimate comfort and use no batteries. :D

You need to make sure that you are not using "Alkaline" batteries in your ANR modules. Those are the most common and more expensive of the batteries, and are designed for high draw utilities.

Your ANR system needs what's called a slow-drain or low draw battery system, and that is using the less expensive Heavy Duty ZnCl batteries

This does not sound right. Have you compared data sheets?

Alkaline http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/E91.pdf
Heavy duty http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/1215.pdf

Scroll down to the bottom of each, and look at the curve labeled "radio" which is the lowest drain use among the curves shown. For that particular pattern of low-drain use, the alkaline lasts about 60 hours vs 20 for heavy duty, if you decide it is dead at 1.2 volts. Or 90 hours vs 30 if your headset quits working at 1 volt. Either way, the alkalines last 3x longer.

New and improved information.

Got tired of the relatively quick drain (and leaks) from standard and alkaline cells in everything that uses them and switched to lithium for everything -- including handhelds. Never a problem with lithium --- performance, life, general reliability. Wonder whether I need to switch back to alkalines for the handhelds and resume worry about leaks and battery corrosion? (main reason I switched away from them)

Either way, the better option for a headset is my recommendation of Heavy Duty ZnCl "low drain" batteries. Try it out and see if it works for you.

OK, I have a standard ANR with no bluetooth or other extras. I currently get about 35 hours with alkalines. What life can I expect with the HD ZnCl batteries?

-Skip

Because of the Bluetooth. They assume you'll be running music and phone all the time. Most don't. The older Lithiums are known to be dangerous.
Primary (non-rechargeable) lithium batteries have never been "dangerous", that reputation comes from certain varieties of lithium-ion rechargeables. And the reason some ANR manufacturers recommend against lithium is that their voltage under typical ANR loads is enough lower than alkalines that the low battery detection will come on way too soon.

Either way, the better option for a headset is my recommendation of Heavy Duty ZnCl "low drain" batteries.
I have tried them and got far less than half the life I usually get from alkalines. Most ANR headsets draw between 30 and 150 ma depending on the features in use (e.g. bluetooth and aux input) and ambient noise levels. IME that's a high enough draw to result in a significant cost advantage of alkalines over zinc chlorides even if you ignore the hassle of changing batteries significantly more often. The advantage of alkalines is even greater if you tend to change batteries at the first sign of their end of life rather than waiting until they completely die necessitating a changeout in flight.

The key to minimizing your ANR power costs is to use an inexpensive but reliable brand of alkalines and purchase them in the right quantity for your use. Shelf life for most alkalines is about 10 years so buying a 2-3 year supply should be optimal.

And if your flying time is so little that a 3 year supply is a pack of four AAs you shouldn't be wasting time trying to economize on ANR batteries. ;)

Back