Another Yak incident

Steve

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly Right
Russians prove the superiority of their gear design yet again.

GearUpLanding.jpg.w560h448.jpg

GearUpLanding2.jpg.w560h448.jpg

Anyone one to go in on a Yak or CJ-6? Seeing Dave's Chipmunk is giving me the urge again.

There were several Yaks at KMSL when I was there this past weekend. It was the first time I took time to look them over. Is there not some sort of 'emergency release' for that type of gear? Seems like it would be possible to put a simple pull-handle that releases the up-lock and they would swing into place no problem. At least that would work for the main gear. You would have to get slow and do a tail-slide to get the nose to come down.

Does have control valves where he can make the nose hop up and down in time to the music?

denny-o

There were several Yaks at KMSL when I was there this past weekend. It was the first time I took time to look them over. Is there not some sort of 'emergency release' for that type of gear? Seems like it would be possible to put a simple pull-handle that releases the up-lock and they would swing into place no problem. At least that would work for the main gear. You would have to get slow and do a tail-slide to get the nose to come down.

The emergency release does no good if you forget that you have to lower the gear in the first place. It's a trainer. Obviously the designers had the occasional forgetful student in mind when they designed the thing. Damage is minimal for a gear up landing in that airplane.

The emergency release does no good if you forget that you have to lower the gear in the first place. It's a trainer. Obviously the designers had the occasional forgetful student in mind when they designed the thing. Damage is minimal for a gear up landing in that airplane.

I understand the main repair is replacing the wooden prop. I watched the plane being pulled on the still retracted gear from the runway to the hangar after the "arrival".

That aircraft is designed to be geared up with minimal damage. Worked like a charm... If only we could get the pilot to put his gear down.

Just out of curiosity, do you still have to do a tear-down inspection of the crankshaft if you strike a wood prop?

Ahh.. So this wasn't a "Oh crap, the gear won't come down" situation. Got it.

The worst 'almost-gear-up' I've seen was at OSH a few years ago when a Hellcat/Bearcat (can't remember which one it was) was coming in after the airshow and got within 6-7' of the ground before realizing that the gear wasn't down. He darn near put it on the belly. Luckily he wasn't loaded heavy and had enough power that he could get himself back out of the flare. I'm pretty sure he needed some new underpants after that one.

Just out of curiosity, do you still have to do a tear-down inspection of the crankshaft if you strike a wood prop?

Dunno. The Russkies used the Ivchenko as something to keep workers busy doing something. With its comparatively low TBO and the fact that there are probably warehouses and barns still full of 0 time engines in cans, they probably just saved time and tossed out the old engine. Although I'm guessing that a wood prop at idle on that engine probably wouldn't warrant an inspection.

Back