Another useful phrase - not

ejensen

Pattern Altitude
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
Eric Jensen
Heard a new one today. From an airport south of here with a shared frequency I heard 'Erie traffice Cessna 12345 is 3 south. This will be my last transmission this frequency, Erie.' New one on me. I heard it once more from a different plane in the around .5 hour I was on that freq. Must be a new instructor or policy at the flight school. Who invents this stuff?

Well, we do that around here when it's congested or busy in/out of local Class D's with training traffic. The idea is that it takes time to get Class D clearance before entering the airspace. Switching over to Class D from 122.75 while inbound and not hearing a call from an outbound plane or someone else in the area could lead to bad stuff.

I've heard others covering for an inbound plane....

123: "Northwest Practice Area, Cessna 123, inbound to Deer Valley, 10 north along I-17 at 3,500, last call, Northwest"
123 goes off air
456: "Northwest Practice Area, Cessna 456, 7 north of Deer Valley climbing to 4,000 and heading to the outlet mall, Northwest" (outlet mall is right on I-17)
unknown: "Cessna 456, watch for another Cessna inbound along your route and altitude, last call was 10 miles a minute ago"

I guess I'd rather hear it than not...

Brian Austin said:
123: "Northwest Practice Area, Cessna 123, inbound to Deer Valley, 10 north along I-17 at 3,500, last call, Northwest"

When I hear "last call" I think about what drink I'm gonna order quick! :cheers:

123 goes off air
456: "Northwest Practice Area, Cessna 456, 7 north of Deer Valley climbing to 4,000 and heading to the outlet mall, Northwest" (outlet mall is right on I-17)
unknown: "Cessna 456, watch for another Cessna inbound along your route and altitude, last call was 10 miles a minute ago"

Don't people keep monitoring after they swith freqs if there's that kind of a risk? I'd hate to rely on someone else being on frequency and passing a call along. :eek:

Heard a new variation on the "any traffic in the are please advise"

The person was up at Burlington Airport and I was 30 miles south shooting some take off and landings. The freq is moderatly busy and Burlington is really humming with about 4 planes in the pattern there all making good radio calls. When all of a sudden a guy comes on freq and calls 'burlington traffic 1234XX 25 to the south are there any planes between me and the airport, burlington?'

What airport and if it is burlingotn you are worried about by the time you are there they will be gone unless he was fllying a super sonic jet fighter which I doubt given his lack of radio savy.

Brian Austin said:
Well, we do that around here when it's congested or busy in/out of local Class D's with training traffic. The idea is that it takes time to get Class D clearance before entering the airspace. Switching over to Class D from 122.75 while inbound and not hearing a call from an outbound plane or someone else in the area could lead to bad stuff.

I've heard others covering for an inbound plane....

123 goes off air

This situation had nothing to do with Cls D or a practice area. Erie is a moderately busy, non-tower GA airport. The airplane announce departing, crosswind, downwind and then the call I quoted. Totally different than the situation you describe. I don't see any use in it still as there are several other airports using the same freq in the area. So he flies 15 minutes up to Fort Collins and can't use the 123.0, since he said last call. The other one I heard so the same thing was headed west into the mountains. No other airports that way for quite a while.:D

That said, the 122.75 practice calls are another pet peeve. If they need a freq that bad get one. Centennial (APA) pretty much dominates 122.75 around Denver at times. They even grip at folks using it for other conversations.

flyingcheesehead said:
Don't people keep monitoring after they swith freqs if there's that kind of a risk? I'd hate to rely on someone else being on frequency and passing a call along. :eek:
Depends on the pilot/CFI. Generally, no, since things get busy when arriving at DVT. I've heard that its operation count is regularly in the top 10 nationwide and has sat at #1 a number of times. Things get quite busy around here.

ejensen said:
That said, the 122.75 practice calls are another pet peeve. If they need a freq that bad get one. Centennial (APA) pretty much dominates 122.75 around Denver at times. They even grip at folks using it for other conversations.
Designated air-to-air and it qualifies. Around here, we use .75 north of Sky Harbor and .85 south of it due to the volume. It was agreed with all of the local schools and the FAA working with them.

Brian Austin said:
Designated air-to-air and it qualifies. Around here, we use .75 north of Sky Harbor and .85 south of it due to the volume. It was agreed with all of the local schools and the FAA working with them.

Understand that it is qualifies but 4 or 5 practice area flight can dominate air-to-air for miles around. Has anyone every discussed a discrete frequency for these busy practice areas? I think Tucson approach has one they use for flight schools.

Let'sgoflying! said:
I could think of a few good comebacks to that!

A simple Thank you came to mind amoung others. But I think them and don't say anything. It was the second identical call from another airplane that got my attention.

Back