Another Turn Around Attempt

Well, he walked away so it's unlikely he spun it in. Hard to say whether the return was a bad idea or not in this case.

I've never had it happen, and I've always heard don't turn back.

But I think it depends on the plane a lot, and the pilot of coarse.

My plane? I think I could turn. A Glasair? No way. It depends a lot on the wing loading and subsequent G/R imo.

It depends on the plane, the pilot, training, and the altitude available.
I've had an engine failure at pattern altitude, no brainer to return to the airport. T-41.

Makes sense to always climb at Vy until you have turn around altitude.

We train turn arounds at 200ft, 23/1 L/d at 60mph.
I would not attempt it with the Pawnee below 600ft. That plane drops like a stone with no power.

The 'impossible' turn is not quite so impossible, but it DOES require training and stringent decision making discipline, commit to one course of action and do it all the way to the ground and stopped.

During my Bonanza Initial at FlightSafety Beechcraft Wichita many many moons ago, we did several impossible turn exercises in the sim, and more often than not they came down to recognition of the failure, and immediate decision to act/configure the aircraft. Also did some exercises in the plane (at altitude) to demonstrate the feel.

This is one of those issues that has people strongly on one side or the other.

My position is if you don't want to ever attempt the turn back, don't. If you haven't trained/practiced it, dont.

Ideally, you should know what the minimum altitude/airspeed/configuration is from which you can RELIABLY make a safe return to the field, for each aircraft you fly.

But if you have trained/practiced it, and the situation calls for it, do it.

'Gimp

Do what you have practiced regularly. If you do not regularly practice a return below, say, 1200 AGL then don't try it. If you do practice it then you know your decision height.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back