Another successful solo flight...

fiveoboy01

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dirty B
I was expecting it this morning, and then my instructor said we would go to C29 for some touch and goes. I assumed I was going to solo out of my home airport(MSN), so I was a tad disappointed, and slightly relieved(I've been nervous about it).

We get to C29, and do 4 touch and goes. But on the 4th one, my instructor takes the controls, hits the brakes, and takes us onto the taxiway.

Previously he had asked if I had my logbook, medical and ID with me, and I said "yes" to which he replied "interesting"... and I told him to quit distracting me whilst in the pattern:lol:

Instructor hops out, tells me to do 2 touch and goes and make the 3rd a full stop.

On the 2nd go, an incoming aircraft announced intentions to enter the pattern from 3 miles out just as I was turning crosswind. I looked and looked, and could not see him... but he did announce he would be behind me. Not knowing how far behind me he was, and not knowing whether or not he was doing a full stop or touch and go, I elected to do a touch and go again, and kept my speed up a bit more on downwind.

One slightly flat landing, one floater, and two greasers. My assessment of my own landings was spot-on as my instructor said the same thing when he hopped back in.

I had 12.6 hours up to this point and I was really scared... but that disappeared once I got onto the taxiway, because I was too busy flying the plane:D

Special thanks to my instructor Mike McGarry and the people at WI Aviation. Everyone there is great, from the ramp personnel to the people at the front desk.

Congrats!! Ever go to C37? 4 weeks from now they're having a big flyin

-VanDy

Awesome! And good use of decision making when dealing with the inbound flight!

Did you get your shirt tail cut?

Congrats! Mine was 9/20/12...not that I remember it or anything. Cleared for my solo x-country now, and just waiting on good weather (and another paycheck). It goes quickly, so enjoy the ride...literally!

Congrats. 12 hours is friggin great. Good on you

Awesome! And good use of decision making when dealing with the inbound flight!

Thanks. I try to err on the side of caution. While I was holding short ready to take off, an aircraft was on downwind, but I didn't know where. Then he called left base and I could not see him due to the wing blocking my vision, so I waited for him to land. I waited for what seemed like an eternity... but I didn't want to chance making the guy go around or worse.

Did you get your shirt tail cut?

Yes sir, I did:D

Then I handed my instructor a new pair of Ray-Ban Aviators.

I am not sure that a fair trade occurred;)

Last edited:
Congrats Pilot!

I remember a similar thought as I pulled out for that first solo takeoff...

In my head "you don't have to do this... "
Applies take off power- "you can stop, there's plenty of runway" rotating...
"Way to go stupid, now you have to land this thing...."
I've got video (iPhone) of the gauges and the upper sky, I don't think I have nailed air speeds and decent rates as well as I did on that first landing. The needles (once in the correct location for the portion of the pattern) didn't move. It wasn't a greaser, but what a memory!

Congrats- the rest if the training should fly by- enjoy it!!! Congrats again!

Congrats Pilot!

I've got video (iPhone) of the gauges and the upper sky, I don't think I have nailed air speeds and decent rates as well as I did on that first landing. The needles (once in the correct location for the portion of the pattern) didn't move. It wasn't a greaser, but what a memory!

LOL that's kind of how my first one went, as I was taxing I was telling myself "I'm not really ready for this, I should do it another day" got to the end and tower told me to expedite an immediate takeoff, didn't have time to think, training took over and off I go, about a minute later I was thinking " oh ****, now I don't have a choice but to land this thing"
Got back safe and sound and with all three wheels on the wagon.
Never forget it.

I was expecting it this morning, and then my instructor said we would go to C29 for some touch and goes. I assumed I was going to solo out of my home airport(MSN), so I was a tad disappointed, and slightly relieved(I've been nervous about it).

We get to C29, and do 4 touch and goes. But on the 4th one, my instructor takes the controls, hits the brakes, and takes us onto the taxiway.

Previously he had asked if I had my logbook, medical and ID with me, and I said "yes" to which he replied "interesting"... and I told him to quit distracting me whilst in the pattern:lol:

Instructor hops out, tells me to do 2 touch and goes and make the 3rd a full stop.

On the 2nd go, an incoming aircraft announced intentions to enter the pattern from 3 miles out just as I was turning crosswind. I looked and looked, and could not see him... but he did announce he would be behind me. Not knowing how far behind me he was, and not knowing whether or not he was doing a full stop or touch and go, I elected to do a touch and go again, and kept my speed up a bit more on downwind.

One slightly flat landing, one floater, and two greasers. My assessment of my own landings was spot-on as my instructor said the same thing when he hopped back in.

I had 12.6 hours up to this point and I was really scared... but that disappeared once I got onto the taxiway, because I was too busy flying the plane:D

Special thanks to my instructor Mike McGarry and the people at WI Aviation. Everyone there is great, from the ramp personnel to the people at the front desk.

Irrelevant. It was his/her job to avoid any conflict. Not faulting your decision, just pointing out that people behind you are none of your concern.

....and congratulations!!

Bob Gardner

Congrats Pilot!

Right. As I was sitting at the end of the taxiway, waiting for the C172 in front of me to line up and takeoff, I kept thinking that "I can't believe I'm doing this"... It's a really weird feeling. I think it's an excitement mixed with some apprehension and even a little fear:lol:

And yeah, I nailed the pattern every time. All 4 descents I never even touched the throttle on final until I pulled it all the way out. That hasn't happened as much so far.

Bob, thanks and thanks for the advice. I spoke to my dad yesterday about this, and he said the same thing you did. I guess it was me just trying to be courteous.

Back