Another study - no effect of mask mandates on slowing the spread of COVID-19 during surges

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterNSteinmetz

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
PeterNSteinmetz
Pre-print of a new study on the possible effects of mask mandates on the spread of COVID-19 last winter during surges. “Conclusions Mask mandates and use are not associated with slower state-level COVID-19 spread during COVID-19 growth surges. ”

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.05.18.21257385v1

Again I leave it to the moderators to determine if a COVID-19 posting is still permitted.

Anyone can, for free, submit a paper to this "archive" (they don't even call it a journal). It's unpublished, not peer-reviewed, and no more significant than a blog post at this stage. Calling it a "preprint" is misleading because there is no assurance it will ever be printed anywhere.

It is a preprint server and the authors are established scientists. In the fast moving field of COVID-19 we have had to look at such items before peer-review, though one should bear in mind they are pre-prints.

These complaints about the source are just a form of ad hominem on the source. Read the pre-print and comment on the actual contents and quality of the analysis to be meaningful. Some people here know how to do that - others don’t and just complain and make ad hominem attacks.

Mandates don’t protect people. People protect people.

These complaints about the source are just a form of ad hominem on the source.

I knew you would say that, and it is a misapplication of the concept of an ad hominem argument. Science and rhetoric are entirely different fields, and without my conducting my own study or having expertise way beyond what I actually have, I am not in a position to refute every detail of this "study". That's why the scientific community came up with the idea of peer review in the first place.

How many times do we need to beat this same horse?

Closed for MC review.

Edit: The thread will remain closed per MC vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back