another solo "cross country"

woodstock

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iTravel
This one was only 40 or so miles, so it doesn't count as a cross country, but it was fun nonetheless.

The ADIZ rules changed slightly, which makes it a little easier to do but easier to bust IMHO. Before, when coming back home from the west, you had a clear boundary - the ridge - to know that you were heading for the ADIZ and plenty of time to make your call. Now, the ADIZ still covers Leesburg but is a lot closer to it - and they gave it a carveout where you don't have to call Potomac, just squawk correctly.

The carveout ends a little south of Leesburg and there is a corner piece that I could easily see someone cutting into, without knowing about it, when coming from the south. I don't think there are clear distinguishing marks to look out for. Long and short, when leaving Leesburg and heading south the safest thing to do is head straight west for a bit before turning south (easy) but then coming up from the south you need to make darn sure you are due west of Leesburg before heading in. THAT is where I could see people cutting the corner accidentally and anecdotally I've heard 3 people already have.

Anyway, I flew to Culpeper and landed, tied down, wandered into the FBO for a pit stop and then headed back out. And darn it, I meant to take a photo but didn't. It was a great day for flying and I was surprised how many planes were in and out of Culpeper - it was almost as busy as Leesburg!

Yesterday marks the first time I've ever had to push a plane back into place myself (and pull) and ouch my lower back hurts today. I tried to make my legs do most of the work when pulling but I still got a good back stretch out of it.

Good job, Beth. I haven't flown since the new cut-outs, but plan on going up Thursday.....and heading south. Going airport hopping at places I haven't taken the Trinnie.....sharpens up the landing skills. Hope to take some friends up for promised rides this weekend.

When do you get to do the "real" x-ctry's?

Kaye

Hey Kaye - if the weather holds - next weekend I'd like to go to CHO or maybe York.

What I'm doing for southern travel is heading west to the lake (with a dam on the south side of it - that helps) and from there angling down to the private strip in Upperville and then south. The private strip is easy to find, the lake less so but if you see it and it's the correct one (dam on south side - so straight edge) you are due west of JYO.

I know that lake. Used to do my airwork in that vicinity back in the good ol' days....

ps. my goal is to fly to Raleigh this fall (likely September). That would be my long XC.

I'm really almost done - just the XCs and then the exams.

If I finish by November 3 I will have finished in 4.5 years exactly.

I just found out I'm going to a conference in Chicago but I don't know if I'll be able to escape to meet for dinner. I'm going with some coworkers. Maybe if I can come up a day early...

Congratulation, now to get finished up. :yes:

BTW, from my 1st solo to license was almost 14 years, so it can take a while if things get in the way... We won't talk about first flight to license - that took much longer.

Good job, Beth. I haven't flown since the new cut-outs, but plan on going up Thursday.....and heading south. Going airport hopping at places I haven't taken the Trinnie.....sharpens up the landing skills. Hope to take some friends up for promised rides this weekend.

Don't forget the ConUS Challenge! :yes:

Back