Another Right Plane for me Question

Chris_Telford

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chris_Telford
First Post be gentle

I am working on my PPL, when I finish I plan to buy my first aircraft.

To give a bit of background... I am 6’6 320lb, I am doing my primary training in a c172 :mad2:. My instructor is a little fella but it still feels like I am wearing the airplane.

My mission… I work a 28 days on, 14 days off schedule, I will be using the plane to fly to work about 130nm and for quick trips home when work allows. I am married with 3 kids 14, 3, 1.5 years (all much smaller than I am) and want to be able to take them on trips when I am home on days off. In the summer time the flight will be longer 800nm to 1000nm. Would like to fly to the Bahamas someday.:D

I will be using this aircraft to get my instrument rating as well. So a large amount of the first few months of flight time will be taken up with that.

I have about 150k to spend on the purchase for the right plane but would like to stay closer to 125k. I have looked into hangers costs and maintenance costs I know it’s going to be expensive

Bonanzas and Barons are always very highly spoken of I have also heard that they are not good for tall pilots? C210? Toga’s? Very nice B-55 are going for 100k is that something that would work?

Someone of your size is not going to be comfortable in any Cessna, Baron, or Bonanza. They are just too skinny. If you want a twin look towards a 310, or Aztec. For singles I would look at Beechcraft Sierra's or a Commander 114.

Find someone with a Cherokee six 300 and try it on for size! I drive a Saratoga, am 6'3" and 240 pounds. When I get a little cramped I just stretch the legs straight out. The Cherokee six has very good useful load and good flying qualities.

This was my first plane after getting my PPL and I did fine with it.

Good luck

Check out an RV-10 or RV-14. Their cabins are wider than most. The 10 is a true 4 seater that can carry the loads you are looking at. Many large guys love them for that reason.

Check out an RV-10 or RV-14. Their cabins are wider than most. The 10 is a true 4 seater that can carry the loads you are looking at. Many large guys love them for that reason.
He needs five seats -- himself, wife, and three kids. That means a six-seater.

I agree with those suggesting a Saratoga for that crowd -- the large cabin and big back door will facilitate loading. For 2-engine solutions, the 58 Baron (not the 55 -- cabin size and access issues) and Seneca would also be good choices, again, for their larger cabins and rear door. However, it's quite a step up from a 172 to a twin, especially if you don't yet have the IR. A Saratoga would provide a good transitional airplane appropriate to the OP's experience level, and he can trade up once he gets his IR and a few hundred hours of experience if he still feels he wants a twin.

You need a C-206 for most utility if you want to take the family, a C-182 would work as your commuter and light family day trips, and a C-177B would serve well in the same roll as the 182.

Here's the deal, you need a door at the pilot seat, and you don't want to be climbing on wings. You're a big guy and small planes were just not designed and engineered with you in mind. There is one low wing I would recommend to you and that is the Rockwell Commander 114 or 115 series. They are built like a tank and have a roomy cabin with a door on both sides. You're a big guy and don't want to be doing the seat slide, eventually something will give and you'll have to repair it and the hole it stabbed in your ass when it happened.

A lot of it depends on your budget. If you have the budget for a C-206, it will likely serve you best for the $$$. If you can't budget a 206 then C-182s stretch way back to the 50s and get pretty low priced at that end.

Yes C206 is a very good choice. Very roomy with excellent head room too and great loading options. If you get one with the flint tip tanks that gives you an extra 180 lbs or so of useful load.

You need a C-206 for most utility if you want to take the family, a C-182 would work as your commuter and light family day trips, and a C-177B would serve well in the same roll as the 182.
Husband, wife, and three kids -- that means more than four seats, and that takes out the 182 and 177. Plus, there are Piper options which provide a roomier cabin and better ground access.

Agreed with most of the above. Commander 114/115 (has a 5th seat STC) or TBM20 for a 4-seater, or go up to the Cherokee Six/Lance/Saratoga. Twins are a completely different ballgame. Nothing wrong with a Bo or 206, but they have access quirks and/or weight and balance concerns.

Husband, wife, and three kids -- that means more than four seats, and that takes out the 182 and 177. Plus, there are Piper options which provide a roomier cabin and better ground access.

Than a 206? The Cherokee 6 is a slide across, not particularly big guy friendly.

I have heard from several people that the C206 would be a good plane for what I need. The problem is for any C206 under 250k it looks like you get a runout engine and very outdated avionics. Are the problems with the C210 landing gear blown out of proportion? From what I read its like ever other landing is a Gear up then you have to rebuild the gear system every annual.

I have heard from several people that the C206 would be a good plane for what I need. The problem is for any C206 under 250k it looks like you get a runout engine and very outdated avionics. Are the problems with the C210 landing gear blown out of proportion? From what I read its like ever other landing is a Gear up then you have to rebuild the gear system every annual.

I been hammering them for thirty years and can say you've been fed BS.
Gear ups are usually the result of a short circuit between the pilot's seat and the gear switch.

http://www.controller.com/listingsd...NAIR/1967-CESSNA-U206G-STATIONAIR/1311933.htm

Decent time left, usable avionics.

I have heard from several people that the C206 would be a good plane for what I need. The problem is for any C206 under 250k it looks like you get a runout engine and very outdated avionics.
Plenty of nice PA32's in your price range, and they can do pretty much anything a 206 can other than really rough field operations.

I would go completely radical if I were starting over.

http://www.barnstormers.com/cat.php?mode=listing&main=

Comp Air 7 turbine. With A/C in your price range. And it's fully IFR, STOL, and has beta. Hope you don't mind 40g.p.h. fuel burn, but it will get you there faster....

I would buy it if our 180 burnt up tomorrow. The savings in non-STC'd gadgets and things might make up for the fuel cost.

And you'd have one of the most bitchin' planes in the sky... 4000' f.p.m. climb rate with you alone. :happydance:

.watermarked_30e56e32ab6e1afc96d1e3f325f5c7b9.jpg

O.k., my wife said I need to tell you you may want to start in something a little slower ... :redface:

Last edited:
Holy Hell I had no idea a turboprop was in my price range sweet and it has 5 seats perfect. I bet insurance is no Problem for low time pilot. :yikes:

Holy Hell I had no idea a turboprop was in my price range sweet and it has 5 seats perfect. I bet insurance is no Problem for low time pilot. :yikes:

Uh, yeah, insurance. Bummer man...

Insurance after you're a pilot would probably require you get 10 hours dual in it after you get your complex cert. If you fast tracked it, you could do it in a month or two. Maybe less. It depend$. ;)

I'd want some dual in one anyway ..

When you take the certified aircraft blinders off, it opens up another world.

The RV10 another guy mentioned might be a good fit until you work your way up to an Aerostar or VLJ. ;):D

That's what we all do. We work our way up. No one but maybe one in a million like our resident rock star troll J. Galt starts out in a Lear. :nonod::lol:

Find someone with a Cherokee six 300 and try it on for size! I drive a Saratoga, am 6'3" and 240 pounds. When I get a little cramped I just stretch the legs straight out. The Cherokee six has very good useful load and good flying qualities.

This was my first plane after getting my PPL and I did fine with it.

Good luck

+1 on a Cherokee Six 300. The 260 six is underpowered.

This bought two plans from this guy. He does good work. I have no ties to him.
http://www.aircraftsalesinc.net/

Last edited:

Remember this, just because you can afford it, doesn't mean you can fly it. The Comp Air is NOT a certified aircraft, it is Experimental Amateur Built. It does not have to meet the flying characteristics of a Pt.23 certified aircraft. Nothing wrong with that in principle, just pointing it out as a reality to ponder with other considerations with the type like it has eaten some pilots with experience and does not have a very good reputation for flight characteristics.

This is probably not a good choice of aircraft to cut your teeth on. You'd be better (and cheaper) off getting a Navajo.

Last edited:
Back