Another radio noise question

UngaWunga

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
UngaWunga
TKM MX-300 radios. PS PMA-6000 audio panel
Garmin 496 gps mounted on the yoke, with XM weather and music.

Nav/comm radio two is crystal clear. Nav/comm radio 1, I hear garbled music and a little static.

The 496 is hardwired for power, and there's four wires going to it. Power, gps antenna, XM antenna, and I guess audio output (looks like a small headphone plug on the bottom right of the gps).

Suggestions for chasing the problem down? From what I've read about other radio problems here, it could be something like the audio cable is too close to the nav/comm 1 antenna. Other things to check?

I played with the audio panel last time I was up, and couldn't find a setting that let me listen to the XM music. When the 496 is on, is the XM audio always being played through the audio jack? I didn't see a setting on the gps to turn it off.

The first thing to do is swap #1 and #2 radios, and see if the problem follows the radio.

OK, I'll dig through the documentation I have to see if there's something on pulling radios. I'll bring some contact cleaner to clean the connections while I'm at it.

Virtually all GA radios come out with a long 3/32" allen wrench. Unscrew, and pull out by the edges of the radio......not the knobs.

TKM radios come out with a phillips screwdriver. Just loosen the hold down screw and do not use it to back the radio out of the tray, Just a quarter turn of so works. Then gently work it out of the tray, preferably not by pulling on the knobs. The beer bottle openers with the little angle on the end opposite from the opener work real well.

So, there's a single phillips head screw in the bottom center of the radios. On the top radio, the screw turned 1/4 turn. Radio didn't budge with gentle prying or pulling on the frame. Bottom radio, the screw felt like it continued to unscrew, but I didn't want to force it when I started to feel resistance. So, couldn't get the radios out. They've probably been in there for quite a while.

I took a look underneath, to see if maybe I could move the wires from the GPS away from the radio wires. I've seen worse, but I'm a little hesitant to touch this.
i-rqBX5xQ-XL.jpg

Nope... just like the things I have to work correctly. I've owned the plane for less than a month and have put 20 hours on it so far.

It sounds to me like you were doing it right. Ours was stuck like yours is. You have to use a little very gentle prying around the edges to get it loose. Then it will slide out.

Back