Another prop accident

That article was really vague. I'm sure its still not good to be found laying on the ground with head injuries.

I was working on an O-235 in a hangar a couple of years ago. Had the carb off the plane, had both exhausts off and was looking up at the exhaust valves when I grabbed the prop and turned it to watch the valves operate. I need to add I was messing around with the fuel primer just minutes before this happened. As I rotated the prop the mags fired and so did the engine, :eek:

The prop came around and hit the back of my hand. Hurt like hell, but no damage. Could have been much worse. Yes, I left the mags on. :mad2:

There's no such thing as an unloaded gun, and there's no such thing as mags off.

-Rich

They found a man with a head injury on the ground in a hangar and the aircraft was NOT running. The "prop" part appears to be pure conjecture but it doesn't sound like your typical "hand prop" nor "walked into running prop" issue.

Unless the first tug fired it off so easy that he lost balance and the next blade caught him stalling the start cycle. It doesn't take much swing on a blade to kill a person, it's happened during compression tests.

There was a prop accident here in Seattle a while ago. The engine popped over on WD40, and the builder was injured. The airplane was being rebuilt and hadn't flown in 30 years.

That article was really vague. I'm sure its still not good to be found laying on the ground with head injuries.

There were a little less vague statements in other news outlets.

Yeah. Maybe he simply banged his head really hard?

One year we were parked on the Oshkosh right on the front of flight line. My wife was working crowd control to find someone using our nose gear as a headrest. She inquired as to whether this was his airplane and he said no, and she suggested he ought not to be touching it. A few minutes later she passed back again and found him back in the same position. She more firmly requested that he not touch other people's aircraft. He gumbily stood up straight into the prop blade...ouch...but he deserved it.

Wow!:hairraise:

I was working on an O-235 in a hangar a couple of years ago. Had the carb off the plane, had both exhausts off and was looking up at the exhaust valves when I grabbed the prop and turned it to watch the valves operate. I need to add I was messing around with the fuel primer just minutes before this happened. As I rotated the prop the mags fired and so did the engine, :eek:

The prop came around and hit the back of my hand. Hurt like hell, but no damage. Could have been much worse. Yes, I left the mags on. :mad2:

One year we were parked on the Oshkosh right on the front of flight line. My wife was working crowd control to find someone using our nose gear as a headrest. She inquired as to whether this was his airplane and he said no, and she suggested he ought not to be touching it. A few minutes later she passed back again and found him back in the same position. She more firmly requested that he not touch other people's aircraft. He gumbily stood up straight into the prop blade...ouch...but he deserved it.

I had a bunch of people under my plane at OSH when the weather hit. I had my tent trying to keep from blowing away. I had a prime spot in Vintage Camping at the runway end of the row behind Vintage Camping.

It took me a few years of head banging to finally learn to always position the prop at 12/6 o'clock when working on the engine.

For 3 blade props - wear a helmet.

That was the one year I was up in the "pristine aircraft" section having just come out of restoration. Now you'll find me just ahead of the row of trees behind the hangar cafe in a row reserved for the long time volunteers (and the tent is in the trees).

I had a bunch of people under my plane at OSH when the weather hit. I had my tent trying to keep from blowing away. I had a prime spot in Vintage Camping at the runway end of the row behind I-95 in Vintage Camping.

From a reliable source, the guy did not survive.

Back