Another PoA pilot gets lucky

flyingcheesehead

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iMooniac
Kate, this time...

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N3534Y

She's right-seating on a Navajo Chieftain going to Grande Prairie, AB.

Looks like so far the route has been KOSH-KDLL-KRST-CYWG (Winnipeg)-CYXE (Saskatoon, arriving in an hour and 26 minutes)-CYQU (Grande Prairie, tonight).

Here's a pic of the plane:

1040083.jpg

Awesome... her adventures continue. I know I'm not the only one who thinks we've got some pretty amazing (and pretty, too) young ladies in our POA midst...

What a neat trip. Nothing like the fire-hose effect... my first flight with this company and I am aboard an unusually long flight to another country in the Navajo Chieftain.

Thursday we flew from Oshkosh to Wisconsin Dells, where we had to do an approach down to minimums to get in. Then we flew to Rochester, MN. We flew across the border to Winnipeg, Manitoba stopping to refuel and check in with customs, which was very easy. Then we flew to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan for another fuel stop. Finally, it was off to Grand Prairie, Alberta which is waaay up there. Look on Google Maps.

A night in a nice hotel and it was time to turn around and come back. Friday we stopped in Saskatoon again, and then Grand Forks, ND home of UND. There, customs was not as simple, this time requiring paperwork and inspections. But it didn't take long. Back to Wisconsin Dells after that and then finally to Oshkosh.

We flew through a lot of rain and clouds, but were often VMC and were able to get into most places without an approach. To make everyone feel better: I did not see any colored trees anywhere... so fall must not be catching up to us quite yet. :) It was cold aloft, though. Saw snow for a few minutes. But a light jacket was warm enough on the ground.

Both the other pilot and I were new to Canada. We discovered many slight differences in radio phraseology. Also in Grande Prairie we learned about the system of flight service stations that provide advisories at airports and are almost like ATC, and are even inside a control tower type building, but are not technically ATC.

There were two big shockers to us on this trip. One was that both of us expected Canada to be solid trees and lakes as far as the eye could see. Well no, it was more like a repetition of North Dakota -- flat farm fields everywhere, with very few houses scattered around, and several small lakes and ponds. I was really surprised at the lack of trees. The other big shocker was the lack of radar coverage but more importantly RADIO coverage. I could not believe how there were certain chunks of half an hour or more where we were literally out of communications coverage. We'd be told to contact someone at a certain mileage, a number of minutes later, or even a certain longitude. Wow, talk about being on your own.

I like the Navajo. I flew from the left seat for several hours, maybe around six, and did some takeoffs and landings. I still have to tally it up. Total flying time was about 20 hours.

These pictures are all from Canada, most from the first day but the last three from the second.

Edit: Hey, where is the Canadian option on those little maps in our signatures? :p

Attachments

• P9040009.jpg
    P9040009.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 10
  • P9040011.jpg
    P9040011.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 11
  • P9040014.jpg
    P9040014.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 8
  • P9040015.jpg
    P9040015.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 9
  • P9040019.jpg
    P9040019.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 13
  • P9040021.jpg
    P9040021.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 11
  • P9040022.jpg
    P9040022.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 8
  • P9050023.jpg
    P9050023.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 30
  • P9050025.jpg
    P9050025.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 6
  • P9050026.jpg
    P9050026.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Wow, an amazing story, Kate. I didn't know you were flying for money now!

You ever make it down this way, lunch is on me!

Wow, an amazing story, Kate. I didn't know you were flying for money now!

You ever make it down this way, lunch is on me!

Yeah, money, what's that? Should be nice to have a little more to survive on.

I should mention, I am still instructing like normal. This Navajo gig will only be a side job for now. I have to go to ground school later this month. I do meet part 135 minimums, so I hope to spend a lot more time in this plane soon.

Excellent, Kate! I'm glad that this is working out for you! :yes:

Make sure to land that thing in IPT sometime and let me fly it. ;)

Both the other pilot and I were new to Canada. We discovered many slight differences in radio phraseology. Also in Grande Prairie we learned about the system of flight service stations that provide advisories at airports and are almost like ATC, and are even inside a control tower type building, but are not technically ATC.
I also discovered that flight plans work a little different in Canada. When you cancel your IFR flight plan to proceed VFR to an airport you are really only cancelling the ATC (separation) portion of it. You still need to cancel the SAR part of it after landing on the phone if you land at an airport without an FSS.

There were two big shockers to us on this trip. One was that both of us expected Canada to be solid trees and lakes as far as the eye could see. Well no, it was more like a repetition of North Dakota -- flat farm fields everywhere, with very few houses scattered around, and several small lakes and ponds. I was really surprised at the lack of trees.
You were in the wrong part of Canada, LOL. My first trip to Canada was a flight from Denver to Timmins, which is in the central part of Ontario, to Havre St. Pierre, which is on the Gulf of St. Lawrence. I don't think I've ever seen so many trees, lakes, and emptiness in my life.

Glad you had a good time. Enjoy the Navajo!

Great gig Kate!

Just read your blog too, good stuff! Added the link to my flight journal blog page.

Thats an fantastic trip kate. About your description of Canada I once heard someone say that Western Canada and the Western US are more like each other in topography and people than the are to the eastern part of each country. They said the boarder should have gone north / south rather than east west.

I also discovered that flight plans work a little different in Canada. When you cancel your IFR flight plan to proceed VFR to an airport you are really only cancelling the ATC (separation) portion of it. You still need to cancel the SAR part of it after landing on the phone if you land at an airport without an FSS.

I didn't know that. Good thing we had a tower or FSS at each airport.

I am really intrigued by all this and am going to read up on flying in Canada, starting with AOPA's collection of info on it.

Back