Another one gone - Robert Yates

The man loved to race, loved to build the fastest cars.

The Allison/Yates combination would have carried on for years.

And Bobby, Davey's racer Dad, both his sons gone.

The grief that the family went through due to the death of Davey eventually led to the divorce of Bobby Alison and his wife, Judy.

The death of Adam Petty, son of Kyle, grandson of Richard, Bobby and Judy went above and beyond helping the parents of Adam, which brought Bobby and Judy back together.

Racing is tough, especially on home life or lack of a home life. It is not a childs game like football or baseball or soccer, it is a life style and some racers give their life chasing a checkered flag.

I remember Kyle Petty trying to talk to the press after Adam died. He was so choked up and emotional, crying. Tough to watch. And I do recall that Zeldman bout the Allisons helping the Pettys and then getting back together.

Last edited:
Really sad, the guy was a real legend and respected by all in the sport, I never got the chance to meet him but don't know anyone to have anything but the best to say about the man. RIP.

Racing is tough, especially on home life or lack of a home life. It is not a childs game like football or baseball or soccer, it is a life style and some racers give their life chasing a checkered flag.

This is so true.

Very true. I only did amateur racing, no pro stuff, but the risks are just as real. In some ways it's worse, because there's no associated reward other than a trophy and bragging rights.

I recall sitting on the grid, waiting to roll out for my race, and being delayed while they cleared a crash from the previous group. Watching the wrecker roll past with a smashed formula car dangling from the hook, and hearing the announcement that my race would be delayed for 15 minutes while we waited for the ambulance to return to the track, was quite sobering. And it happened several times over the years.

RIP, Mr. Yates. You will be long remembered and missed.

Back