Another one down... Bonanza down in TX

a pal in his Bo made it back from erv today - said just as they sat in the restaurant downtown kerrville for lunch the skies loosed a couple inches of rain. right about that time.
prayers.

To be fair, it's often difficult to assess what the whether will be like in the area where he seems to have crashed. It certainly doesn't look like a major storm or something similar just from looking at the radar...

:(

To be fair, it's often difficult to assess what the whether will be like in the area where he seems to have crashed. It certainly doesn't look like a major storm or something similar just from looking at the radar...

:(
Anyone have a snapshot of the radar 'bout when he went down? It's really hard to tell much of anything from a flightaware image after the fact. The flightaware one looks like less than ideal weather -- but I'm sure many of us have went through a radar image like that. I know I've flown through radar pictures like that -- generally by maintaining separation in visual conditions.

He really should have swung further north though. It would have added like a few minutes to the flight. Amazing the risk some people will add to avoid a bit of a diversion. It's possible he didn't know slightly north was a better option -- depending on his equipment and the information he had available.

I've found that the image on flightaware often isn't from the time that radar contact was dropped.

Last edited:
He was a pilot for about ten years; got the IR about a year ago. Had a V-tail Bo; recently got the A-36. (According to Ed Livermore who is based at the same AP.

Best,

Dave

uh oh, naughty people speculating about crashes again....:nono:

:rolleyes:
(I see nothing wrong with it)

I live 7 miles from the crash site, people called me after news came out checking to make sure it was not me. At that time I was talking to a friend (new Pilot) from Kerrville who asked me about Boerne stage road, I looked up the weather and told him to stay put it was right over the SA and in the NW direction. We had light rain with a ceiling around 1200 at t he most. Out alt is 1600 near 1T7 1.7 miles from where the crash happened, he would barely be in patern altitude. My fear is he hit the cluster of Cell towers 2 miles west of the Airport as he might have been descending or something. We don’t know pilots who live on the airport hear a bang and ran there and police wont let them get close calls went out to check and see, at about 1 pm Casey the 1t7 owners and Larry confirmed it was not someone from there. I made several calls to my friend in Kerrville thinking he might of flew in after all my warnings, but was relieved to hear his voice on the 4th call. I am sorry for the families of the pilot and the two kids (I have an 11 year old who will be 12 ends of month and a 13 year old) this is hard on all of us. But from weather stand point I think if he was at 9000 feet as they say he would have been over the weather. It was broken at 1400 at Kerrville at the time my friend James called me, just around 10:30 or 11

We had MVFR from FWS to DWH, but that's because we flew east to CRS first. Towards the west the weather just looked worse and worse.

The loop runs pretty fast so I captured the 1200 shot and marked where I think the crash site is.
Hard to tell from the pic that it was so terrible - lots of planes have flown through worse-looking radar views.

Attachments

• 1pm.JPG
    1pm.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 27
The loop runs pretty fast so I captured the 1200 shot and marked where I think the crash site is.
Hard to tell from the pic that it was so terrible - lots of planes have flown through worse-looking radar views.

That seems fairly consistent with the weather returns reflected on the flightware track map.

Maybe it's just a reminder that the radar may not show the whole picture and those of us who like to use it strategically rather than tactically are probably on the right track. (If wx had anything to do with this crash at all - maybe it didn't, but we can still learn by looking at them.)

That radar picture looks quite a bit worse to me than the one on FA. I wouldn't fly through that cell - maybe if I didn't have a choice and I had onboard radar. But in this case, it would be so easy to fly a few miles north and avoid it all....

But in this case, it would be so easy to fly a few miles north and avoid it all....

+1
now I have to wonder what was available at erv to look at before he left, and if he did make use of it. (still could have been a crash of completely other causes, but the mind wonders.)

Back