Another Newbie "Hello"...

colomtnflyer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
iAM in AK!
Hi- My name is Ric, and I'm a recovering ski instructor. (Hi, Ric!!):p

I discovered this site just a week or so ago, when I learned that my very good friend John Lancaster (fling wing) had been tragically killed in a helicopter crash on the Vermillion 200 platform in the GoM.

He and I had worked together for many years in the ski industry, and both of us shared a keen interest in flying. Just in the past several months, John and I had renewed our friendship when after more than 30 years in the ski industry, I left Colorado for the warmer climate of Houston.

I am an 2300 hr, ATP, CFII/MEI, Pt 135 Capt, and own a 1964 C310-I, which I keep in KCOS. I learned to fly in KCOS back in '89, and taught there from 2000 till 2006, doing it all, but specializing in Mtn Flying and IFT for the USAFA.

While teaching skiing during the winters and flying during the summers might seem an ideal existence, it is exactly that! An existence. So I threw caution to the wind, got a full time job flying for an incredible company which provides both Pro Pilot Pt 91 aircraft management and Pt 135 charter ops down here in KHOU.

I am loving life! And though I am still a very active member in the ski community (and on a very similar website as this- skiing related), I am fully embracing this new direction in my life. There is still so much I have to learn about flying.

But if there are any of you who need any info about the White Winter World (skiing, that is), please don't hesitate to ask! If I can't help you with an answer, I sure as heck know how to get it for you!

I'm glad to be here!

Last edited:
Welcome Ric and sorry about your friend!

I am a recovering skier myself. Ever since I moved to the middle-west, that is pronounced flatland, I have not skied much. I lived in New Mexico for a while and I would frequent Taos, Santa Fe, and Steamboat (a bit of a haul). I used to also ski in Europe when I lived there, mostly in Garmish near the Austrian border.

Hi Ric - in spite of the sad circumstances that brought you here, we're glad you're here. Welcome!

N8116B-
Thanks!
I actually learned to ski in Garmisch, Berchtesgaden, and Chiemsee, all the AFRC ski areas, back in the 60's. (My father was an officer in the Army) We did 2 tours in Germany (6 years total). It was a blast!

Welcome Ric! I am a recovering Coloradan myself. Actually planning to dual residence in Denver and Lexington, KY as soon as my wife and I can find a suitable place. I used to be based at Front Range, KFTG. John Lancaster was a heck of a guy.

Hi Rick. Sounds like you'll be able to add to the discussion here. We're glad you found us.

GREAT sounds like another Henning, I get to drool over someone elses fun once again. :rofl:

Seriouslyl Ric WELCOME!! I love flying and skiing too. Haven't experienced it to your level but love them both. I know you will really like it here at POA be sure to chime in often. As you will see you won't even have to know what your talking about to offer an opinion LOL. Good to have ya.

Welcome from another former skier, used to ski that wonderful "frozen granular" surface in the North East.

Welcome Ric, I to Fly and Ski (sometimes). You'll definately fit in here at PoA, Also don't forget about coming into the Chatroom. Welcome again.
Dave G

Welcome aboard! Sorry for the circumstances that brought you this way, but glad you're hear nonetheless.

Welcome Ric! I am just up the road from your former home at KAPA and I work with a couple of former USAFA instructors. In fact, I am going to be stopping for a short while at KCOS late this afternoon. Small world.

Sorry I didn't know your friend. Sounds like he was a great guy.

Back