Another New Pilot

NY Pilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NY Pilot
After close to 2 years of training, I took and passed my PPL ride on Saturday. Could not have asked for better weather here in NY. The DPE was friendly and fair and my school prepared me well, so I had a great experience overall. Now for the really fun part....

Although I was lurking most of the time, I found a ton of great advice here, so thank you to everyone.

Congrats! Welcome to the elite club! I'm a new member myself.

Congrats! I'm still training. Care to share your test experience? Was it what you expected? :)

Thanks to all.

Congrats!!! What airport are you based out of?

KHPN

Congrats! I'm still training. Care to share your test experience? Was it what you expected? :)

Yes, very much what I expected. Nothing that I wasn't prepared for. The oral was a little over 2 hours, although there were a few "stories" in there that took up some of the time. Everything was directly out of the FAR/AIM, Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, or the C172 POH. Privileges and limitations of PPL, airspace and weather minimums, systems, weather (went over the different maps), etc. I know I am missing a bunch of things from the list, but, as I said, nothing unexpected.

Same with the flight test. We did 2.0 on the Hobbs. Planned XC to KGBR. Got about 25NM in and I was still on course. Did an emergency decent / engine out to force me to lose altitude. Diverted to KPOU where we did takeoffs and landings (soft, short, no flaps). Went back towards KHPN - did work under the hood, unusual attitudes, slow flight, power off stalls, power on stalls, steep turns, and turns around a point on the way. Landed back at KHPN and got the handshake.

DPE was great - friendly and fair. He kept it relaxed but gave a comprehensive test.

How did you prepare for your test? This is one thing I am still months away from, but definitely nervous about. Did you have to know much more than you needed for the written test?

Congratulations! Now, for the most part, you'll be your own CFI as you'll be learning things on your own. Good thing you stuck with it, great job.

Congrats from a fellow New York Pilot! Enjoy your new ticket.

I flew Saturday too and it was literally a perfect day for flying. It was by far the calmest day of the year that I've flown on- so you have good luck with weather anyway!

Any plans for your first flight as a private pilot?

Congratulations that's so awesome where are you flying in ny I am in nj flying out of kblm?

How did you prepare for your test? This is one thing I am still months away from, but definitely nervous about. Did you have to know much more than you needed for the written test?

See above. I just studied those three books. If you know them, there is no need to be nervous. For the written, I was able to just memorize the questions, but you do actually have to understand the material for the oral.

Congrats from a fellow New York Pilot! Enjoy your new ticket.

I flew Saturday too and it was literally a perfect day for flying. It was by far the calmest day of the year that I've flown on- so you have good luck with weather anyway!

Any plans for your first flight as a private pilot?

Absolutely. I was very fortunate.

Congratulations that's so awesome where are you flying in ny I am in nj flying out of kblm?

KHPN

Congratulations! Sounds like you had an awesome DPE and checkride. I'm well on my way to a two-year track, too, and that's just for a sport pilot license. I figure it will all seem much sweeter when I finally get there, than had I blown through it all in three months.:wink2:

Congratulations!! A good DPE can make all the difference in the world. You did it and now you are a pilot!!!!!

Congrats!!!!!

Saturday was fantastic day to fly around here, I did the Hudson River trip myself that day. :D

Back