Another Mid-Air 4 Dead

So, uh... Where's the numbers?

I'm going to do part of the work here and copy and paste part of the mid air collision sections for past Nall Reports, but if someone else will crunch the numbers and produce a trend graph, that would help.

1999 Nall Report:
High-density traffic around nontowered airports is the most likely place for two aircraft to collide. In 1997, there were 13 midair collisions with 11 resulting in fatalities. In 1998, there were 14 midair collisions, again with 11 resulting in fatalities. Collisions tend to be random events. Careful scanning and following proper procedures for nontowered airports are the best defense.

2000 Nall Report:
MIDAIR COLLISIONS 15 TOTAL/7 FATAL
During 1999 there were 15 midair collisions involving a total of 27 GA aircraft. Seven of these accidents were fatal, resulting in 16 deaths. The number of midair collisions involving GA air- planes was nearly the same as the 14 in 1998, while the number of fatal midair collisions fell from 11 in 1998. The number of deaths also fell from the 25 suffered in 1998. Midair collisions continued to occur mainly on good VFR days, at low altitude, close to airports. In 1999, all of the midair collisions occurred in VMC and during the hours of daylight.
A recent AOPA Air Safety Foundation study of midair collisions revealed that 49 percent of them occurred in the traffic pattern or on approach to or departure from an airport. Of the other 51 percent, about half occurred during en route climb, cruise, or descent, and the rest resulted from formation flights or other hazardous activities. Eighty percent of the midair collisions that occurred during “nor- mal” flight activities happened within 10 miles of an airport, and 78 percent of the midair collisions that occurred around the traffic pattern happened at nontowered

2001 Nall Report:
Midair Collisions
19 Total/11 Fatal
During 2000 there were 19 midair collisions involving a
total of 34 GA aircraft. The other aircraft involved do not meet the criteria for this report. They were: a Piper Navajo and Cessna 208 operating under Part 135, a Lear 55, and an F-16. Eleven of these accidents were fatal, resulting in 42 deaths. There were four more midairs in 2000 than in 1999.
In 2000, all of the midair collisions occurred in VMC and during the hours of daylight.

2002 Nall Report:
Midair Collisions
5 Total/3 Fatal
During 2001, there were five midair collisions involving a total of 10 GA aircraft. Three of these accidents were fatal, resulting in eight deaths. This number is down considerably from the 19 collisions and 32 fatalities in 2000. Midair collisions usually occur on good VFR days, at low altitude, close to air- ports. In 2001, all of the midair collisions occurred in VMC and during the hours of daylight. ASF has made a major effort in the last two years to remind pilots to see and avoid with special emphasis pro- grams in Florida, Illinois, and California. In these high-density traffic areas the potential for collisions is increased.
A recent Air Safety Foundation study of midair collisions revealed that 82 percent resulted from a faster aircraft overtaking and hitting a slower moving aircraft. Only five percent were from a head-on angle. Eighty percent of the midair collisions that occurred during “normal” flight activities happened within 10 miles of an airport, and 78 percent of the midair collisions that occurred around the traffic pat- tern happened at nontowered airports.

2003 Nall Report:
Midair Collisions
9 total/ 5 fatal
During 2002, there were nine midair collisions involving a total of 15 GA aircraft. Five of these accidents were fatal, resulting in nine deaths. This number is up compared to 2001, when there were a total of five collisions, of which three were fatal, and eight total fatalities.

2004 Nall Report:
Midair Collisions
11 total/ 7 fatal
Midair collisions increased in 2003, up 22.2 percent (from nine to 11) overall, and by 40 percent (from 5 to 7) for fatal acci- dents. Overall fatalities increased from nine to 23 (a 155.6 per- cent increase).

2005 Nall Report:
Midair Collisions
10 total/ 6 fatal
Collisions between aircraft in flight are relatively rare. Most hap- pen in day VFR conditions, frequently in or near an airport traf- fic pattern. Most in 2004 were at airports that did not have a control tower, although this does not necessarily mean that towered airports are safer, since about 97 percent of U.S. air- ports do not have a control tower. Total and fatal midair colli- sions for the year decreased by one each (11 to 10 and seven to six respectively) compared to 2003, and there were 10 fatal- ities.

2006 Nall Report:
Midair Collisions
10 total/ 5 fatal
Collisions between aircraft in flight are relatively rare. Most happen in day VFR conditions, frequently in or near an airport traffic pattern. Total midair collisions for 2005 remained at 10 for the second consecutive year. Fatal midair accidents dropped from five to four, with 14 persons killed.

2007 Nall Report:
Midair Collisions
6 total/4 fatal
Collisions between aircraft in flight are relatively rare. Most happen in day VFR conditions, frequently in or near an airport traffic pattern. Total midair collisions for 2006 dropped to six from the previous year’s 10. Fatal midair accidents remained at four, with nine persons killed. As collision avoidance technology becomes more widespread in general aviation, these numbers may improve in coming years.

2008 Nall Report:
Midair Collisions
10 total/4 fatal
In 2007 GA aircraft were involved in ten midair collisions, four of which were fatal. The fatal acci- dents included a collision between two competitors rounding the first pylon in an air race at Reno and a collision between a vintage P-51 and an amateur- built P-51 replica during a formation landing at Oshkosh. The other two fatal accidents both in- volved instructional flights: A Cessna 172 practic- ing maneuvers in dual instruction collided with a departing V35B on a clear day, and a student pilot flying solo hit a light twin on an instrument flight plan. None of the remaining six caused serious injuries. Three of these occurred in the traffic pat- tern (one at a towered field), two during formation flight, and one in low-altitude cruise flight.

2009 Nall Report:
Collisions
23 total / 6 fatal
Non-commercial fixed-wing aircraft were involved in 11 midair collisions in 2008. Four of them were fatal, causing 14 total fatalities. Nine (including all four of the fatal accidents) were between two air- planes operated non-commercially; one involved an aerial application airplane, and one towplane collided with the glider it was pulling.
Three of the eight airplanes involved in fatal midair collisions were on instructional flights, and two of these hit each other: a Cessna 172 and a Piper PA-44- 180 collided in a very busy training area in Florida. Another Cessna 172 flown by a solo student pilot col- lided with a Cirrus SR22 in Wyoming. The other five (including the Cirrus) were all on personal flights.
Four more collisions took place on runways during takeoffs and landings, and five while taxiing. A col- lision between two amateur-built aircraft at a fly-in killed both pilots and both passengers: a Velocity RG went off the left side of the runway after land- ing and hit an RV-8, which had taxied clear. None of the other eight on-ground collisions were fatal.
On the commercial side, there were two non-fatal taxi collisions between fixed-wing air taxis (both in Bethel, Alaska). A fatal collision between two medi- cal transport helicopters on approach to the same hospital killed all seven on board both aircraft.

2010 Nall Report:
Collisions
15 total / 7 fatal
Non-commercial fixed-wing aircraft were involved in nine midair collisions in 2009. These included all seven
fatal collisions, which resulted in a total of 19 deaths. Three fatal midairs were collisions with other categories
of aircraft: the Hudson River tour helicopter, a glider hit by a towplane, and a powered parachute struck by
an unregistered homebuilt. There were also non-fatal collisions between a North American T-6 and a Robinson R22 helicopter and between a Cessna 182 and a Mooney M20; both occurred in airport traffic patterns.
The only other midair in 2009 involved two crop-dusters attempting to land on the same runway. Neither was equipped with a radio.
For the second straight year, there was a fatal midair between two airplanes
on instructional flights. In this case, a Cessna 152 and a Piper PA-28-161 collided while both were conducting simulated instrument approaches in Arizona. The pilot flying the Cessna was ejected from the airplane during
an uncontrolled descent. The fatal collision over Long Beach, California also involved an instructional flight, in this case VFR airwork in a Cessna 172 that collided with a Cessna 310 on a cross-country flight. The other airplanes involved in midairs were all on personal flights, though the R22 was being used for dual instruction and the Eurocopter AS350 hit over the Hudson River was conducting a commercial air tour.
No serious injuries resulted from any of the five on-ground collisions. Four were between taxiing airplanes and one was on a runway, where a Pitts landed on top of a Cessna 172.

2011 Nall Report:
COLLISIONS (12 TOTAL / 3 FATAL) There were four midair collisions in 2010. Three were fatal, causing eight deaths between them. Three people were killed when a Piper Pawnee doing a glider tow was struck by a Cirrus SR20 near Boulder, Colorado; the glider pilot detached the tow rope and landed safely with two passengers. The Florida collision of a Piper Lance and an amateur-built RV-6 killed everyone on both aircraft. The crew of a Eurocopter EC135 P2 medevac helicopter survived its collision with a Cessna 172 near the Shenandoah Valley Airport in Virginia, but the flight instructor and student on the Cessna died. Both pilots were injured when two Piper PA-18 Super Cub floatplanes collided near Dillingham, Alaska, but both survived.
No serious injuries resulted from any of the eight collisions on the ground. All involved fixed-wing airplanes, including one involving two Beech Queen Airs operated by the same Part 135 cargo carrier.

The tech advancements are responsible for an increase in midairs.

There might actually be a fair bit of truth to this - the modern navigators and autopilots can follow an airway to a MUCH higher degree of precision now than they used to be capable of - which puts two aircraft on a collision course if one of the pilots chooses the wrong cruising altitude.

Not to forget modern traffic advisory systems give pilots something more to stare at inside the aircraft.

I'd rather be looking at a traffic advisory system that looking at whatever small percentage of the sky I can see out the windshield hoping I see something before it hits.... The faster the aircraft, the more important this is.

Midairs are still quite rare, you're far more likely to run out of gas or suffer a broken mill. We spend too much mental energy worrying about them. Keep a sharp eye out is all you can do. By the time everyone has their fandango traffic avoidance, they're see so many airplanes that it will become that much more noise.

I'm going to do part of the work here and copy and paste part of the mid air collision sections for past Nall Reports, but if someone else will crunch the numbers and produce a trend graph, that would help.

Not really. You've provided no data as to which aircraft have had traffic devices or glass panels aboard - And that data likely does not exist. :no: So, you could show a trend of mid-airs over time, but it wouldn't have much if anything to do with tech.

There might actually be a fair bit of truth to this - the modern navigators and autopilots can follow an airway to a MUCH higher degree of precision now than they used to be capable of - which puts two aircraft on a collision course if one of the pilots chooses the wrong cruising altitude.

Of course, the "modern navigators and autopilots" have also gotten a lot of planes OFF the airways to begin with - I think that fact more than makes up for the fact that if they're on an airway they definitely increase the chances.

Traffic avoidance gadgets are good and helpful, but as I think someone mentioned earlier, there needs to be a cheap alternative means of providing position. I fear that seeing almost all traffic "on the box" will make you complacent and more likely to miss that Cub or Champ OR Skyhawk that has experienced an electrical system failure...

Ryan

The system is not foolproof and tends to make one assume that if it isn't on the screen, it doesn't exist.

Ryan

I want a handheld or portable device that can be used like squawking 1200 on a current transponder in an emergency or so others can "see" me in a Cub, or better yet in a Taylorcraft. :)

Ryan

Not really. You've provided no data as to which aircraft have had traffic devices or glass panels aboard - And that data likely does not exist. :no: So, you could show a trend of mid-airs over time, but it wouldn't have much if anything to do with tech.

There seems to be a disconnect here. I was trying to be helpful - not trying to prove anything one way or another. You asked for numbers to this question:

"The tech advancements are responsible for an increase in midairs."

The information I took the trouble to locate addresses the latter half of that claim: "an increase in midairs."

The issue is determining whether that half of the claim is even accurate - so do you see any trend in the numbers that supports the claim that there is an increase in midairs? I don't.

Of course, the "modern navigators and autopilots" have also gotten a lot of planes OFF the airways to begin with - I think that fact more than makes up for the fact that if they're on an airway they definitely increase the chances.
The Nall analysis says that ~50% of midair collisions happen in the traffic pattern and that 80% of midair collisions happen within 10 miles of an airport. Over 80% of midair collisions involve a fast plane overtaking a slow one. Only 5% from head on angles.

Collisions on airways doesn't seem to have come up enough for the Nall analysis to note the stats on them.

The Nall analysis says that ~50% of midair collisions happen in the traffic pattern and that 80% of midair collisions happen within 10 miles of an airport. Over 80% of midair collisions involve a fast plane overtaking a slow one. Only 5% from head on angles.

Collisions on airways doesn't seem to have come up enough for the Nall analysis to note the stats on them.

Well this one must be in the .01%
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fEOjvxNlFI

At 35,000ft at night under same ATC controller, TCAS alerting of a mid air and 6 pair of eyes looking out the window for traffic. Killed over 30 children and over 50 adults. What went wrong?

José

A not unrealistic scenario-

You are happily motoring along in a Champ, so you're doing it right, old school, scanning all over the place for traffic. You're decending towards the traffic pattern of a non towered airport. You're 10 miles out and nobody seems to be in the pattern or the area, so you haven't given a position report yet. Behind you and above is a Baron also decending into the same airport. He too is spending most all of his time looking out the window for traffic and thinks he may be all alone. Sadly, your little Champ fits neatly under the nose, wings and motors of the Baron and so the twin pilot never sees you.

How are your Mark I eyeballs going to save you now?

I personally like TV. There are some pretty good, informative shows on sometimes.
I have published my approach to my home drone. Circle midfield, left std rate, at 1500 agl in "C" space. Find everyone. Visually, +Appcon help, plus listening.

Then and only then, descend to the pattern.
Can't avoid visual separation.....

On one flight with my husband, traffic was called out six times. Neither he nor I could see ANY of these planes, despite their given locations being potentially visible by us, and we were really looking hard for them.

That experience adds to the weight of things I have to mentally overcome to fly with any degree of comfort. It feels like driving down a road with random percentages, in this case 100 percent, of the other vehicles having cloaking devices in operation.

The random invisibility of other planes in the air seems to me to add another element of "luck" to flying: Maybe you'll see it, maybe you won't know it's there until you hit it. I don't like to count on "luck" when flying. But I don't know how this visibility problem can be solved.

At 35,000ft at night under same ATC controller, TCAS alerting of a mid air and 6 pair of eyes looking out the window for traffic. Killed over 30 children and over 50 adults. What went wrong?

Everything !!

Really sobering report. The controller was later murdered and his supervisors got jail sentences.

On one flight with my husband, traffic was called out six times. Neither he nor I could see ANY of these planes, despite their given locations being potentially visible by us, and we were really looking hard for them.

That experience adds to the weight of things I have to mentally overcome to fly with any degree of comfort.

At what range? I've had traffic called out to me that was 7 miles away. Here's an exercise: Go to the airport. Now drive 7 miles away. Now look back toward the airport. See any airplanes?

I'm generally the first person in the cockpit to see other traffic (blessed with good eyes, I guess). I don't think I've ever seen another airplane that was called out to me that was more than 3 miles away unless it was an airliner. Yet, ATC will still call out traffic that's 4 or more miles away. So don't worry too much about the call unless they get really close and you still can't see them.

A mid-air used to be my biggest fear in flying. Not so much any more.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back