Another mess

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
I had a new owner of a C-150 call and ask If I could help him get flying again. seems he was torn down last november and told that he needed an engine overhaul due to low compression and foreign material in the oil. so the engine was torn down all the parts got shipped and reworked by reputable shops. and they are all back awaiting assembly.
During the down time the fire wall was (is being) replaced, and the rudder pedals were removed and all the wiring under the instrument panel.
As time dragged on, the money was disappearing, and the A&P has health problems, plus the hangar owner is moving his operation and now the c-150 must find another home.
I get the call, the owner has found another hangar at the same airport, and is process moving, I go take a look to see what I can do, and we arrange for me to assemble the 0-200, So I load up all the parts and take them to my hangar.

So far no problem, But as I go thru all the engine paper work I see no STCs for the 4 new cylinders which are normally packed with the cylinders, all I get is 4 8130-3 authorized release forms.
I start thinking these are re-built cylinders, I question the owner, nope they are new, So I want to know where the STCs are, I call ECI, They get indignant, saying they always pack the STC in the shipping container, I'm going nope they are not hear, They ask what S/Ns do I have, I tell them, long silence, then they say they did not ship them to me, I say that's correct and ask who did they ship them to, more silence, then they tell me they drop shipped them to "_____" Rebuilding at customer request.
Now I'm really confused, why would any one send brand new cylinders to a rebuild shop? I find that the owner thought it was required they be flow matched.

So I'm calling "_____" Rebuilding.
Where's the STC? ...... What ?
I gave them their W/O number, on hold again, yes we have that W/O, wait I'll get the file, more holding, when he comes back he says what paper work do you need again?

I tell him how the cylinders require an STC to be installed on the engine. he says REALLY? as he goes thru the folder he finds the 4 STCs they didn't know existed.

Thankfully he is sending the whole mess of paper work to me. This one turned out OK, but had they thrown the STCs away I do not know how I would have resolved this mess.

I hate taking over in the middle.

Last edited:
Back