Another logging question SIC?

StinkBug

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Dallas
So lets just say that a Commercial AMEL rated pilot is asked to fly right seat in a turbo-jet aircraft that requires 2 pilots on board. The left seat pilot is experienced, type rated. The right seat pilot is neither. No money is changing hands.

First, is this legal? Second, can the right seat pilot log the time as anything? I'd assume SIC would be the most that could be logged.

FAR 61.55

Gonna need some training. Once it is complete, yes it is legal, and yes, SIC time is all that could be logged.

Why isn't money changing hands ? If the plane REQUIRES 2 pilots, there should always be money changing hands.

Why no money? You have the rating,just not typed in the aircraft.

Maybe he only has a 3rd class medical.

FAR 61.55

Gonna need some training. Once it is complete, yes it is legal, and yes, SIC time is all that could be logged.
This. As long as you are only flying in the US, you don't need a type rating to serve as SIC, but do have to complete the minimum training on the aircraft within the last year to act as SIC.

If you cross the border, you must have at least an SIC type.

Why isn't money changing hands ?

When someone you know says "I need to reposition my Gulfstream, you wanna fly the right seat?" are you really gonna ask for money? It's not a paying flight for anyone.

When someone you know says "I need to reposition my Gulfstream, you wanna fly the right seat?" are you really gonna ask for money? It's not a paying flight for anyone.

I would ask for $1k/day as my minimum rate in a large cabin. But then again, I also like flying new planes so I would do it for free if we got to do 3 landings at the destination and they had a flight home for me.

I have a feeling he just wants a free ride in a GS, which any bugsmasher pilot would kill for:)

My answer would be, it depends. Does the airplane require two qualified pilots? Or, does the company require two pilots for the flight? If so, I'd say that the right seat guy should be paid.

Now, if you're just going along for something fun to do and/or just wanting to get a little time in a specific airframe that is another story. I'd do that for free.

Back