Another interesting Low IFR chart tidbit

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
You probably already know that the cities listed in BLACK ink on the L-chart coverage grid on the front of a Low-Altitude Enroute chart indicate busy cities for which an "A-chart" is available.

What I didn't notice before today is that the Low Altitude Enroute charts DO NOT SHOW THE AIRPORT IDENTIFIER for any airport inside the Area Chart details. Look at this snippet from L-17; airports to the north of the dashed green line have the airport identifier, altitude, lighting and runway length info. Airports to the south of the dashed green line, in the DFW metroplex area, don't even have the ID of the airport. Granted, not much of an issue with Foreflight (touch the airport, get the detail) or most GPS units (search by airport or city name), but I still found it to be an interesting trivia detail... better found on the ground than in the air! How'd I miss that before?

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    926.8 KB · Views: 169
You look them up in both the A/FD and the approach plates by CITY name. Why would you need the identifier?

During my study for the Instrument I learned that (A) on the Low Enroute chart means they have an ATIS and the frequency is next to 'em. That will be forever stuck in my head. ;)

Those ones in the green dashes remove all that useful stuff too.

Chart legends are fun to poke through to remind yourself of everything depicted from time to time.

99% of my flying is IFR yet I seldom look at the IFR low or high while enroute. For me my preferred view while flying is the sectional view and I don't think that problem exists in that view.

Back