Another IMSAFE

ifconfig

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ifconfig
Lewis Bjork wrote an excellent book (I liked it so much, I have two) called Piloting for Maximum Performance. With a rather large aviation library—I wager since I am not flying, I may as well read about flying—it takes something for me to call it a favorite (Hubin's The Science of Flight is another favorite).

I posted a version of his self-assessment on my blog (http://goo.gl/eJNEB9) in which you take a test and grade yourself on 10 questions. What's interesting is the question he asks afterwards, At what percentage would you not fly?

Lewis Bjork wrote an excellent book (I liked it so much, I have two) called Piloting for Maximum Performance. With a rather large aviation library—I wager since I am not flying, I may as well read about flying—it takes something for me to call it a favorite (Hubin's The Science of Flight is another favorite).

I posted a version of his self-assessment on my blog (http://goo.gl/eJNEB9) in which you take a test and grade yourself on 10 questions. What's interesting is the question he asks afterwards, At what percentage would you not fly?

Why link your blog and not just post it here?

1. My skills are entirely adequate to complete the flight as planned.

2. My ability to cope with emergencies during the flight is finely honed.

3. I have recently practiced and safely demonstrated the skills needed for the flight and any foreseeable emergency.

4. I am familiar with and respectful of the airplane’s limitations.

5. I have eliminated my ego while in the cockpit.

6. I am aware and respectful of my own limitations.

7. There are no problems on my mind except those with direct bearing on flying the plane.

8. The safety of the flight takes priority over having to get there.

9. I understand the consequences of a serious mistake.

10. I am healthy and in perfect control of my emotions.

A total score of 100 could indicate that you are 100-percent ready to fly.

At what percentage would you not fly?

Last edited:
I don't have a direct link, but I recall the CAP having a similar practice that is part of all pre flight activity and paperwork. If the score is below a particular threshold, then that flight does not happen with that pilot.

I don't have a direct link, but I recall the CAP having a similar practice that is part of all pre flight activity and paperwork. If the score is below a particular threshold, then that flight does not happen with that pilot.

See if you can find it, it sounds interesting. I'm collecting these.

Thanks Mike, very nice. Man, Machine, Mission. I love it.

There is a good AC by the FAA on risk management. And more than a few good WINGS topics too.

Back