Another huge thanks.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
This time to Lawreston (Harley Reich / Jerry). I still am not 100% sure about why he has all the names he does, but none-the-less he was a most outstanding host. I landed at IWI after staying on Martha's Vineyard after Wings Fly-B-Q in a pretty decent crosswind. 90º direct, gotta love those. And as I am landing, there's someone with a camera just off the runway. Well, I know who that has to be. I pull around to the fuel pumps, and am met by my gracious host. And since his plane is in the shop, I even got to hangar my plane for the night. How cool is that?
I got a mini tour of the Wiscasset/Bath/Portland area of Maine, and was treated to a very good dinner at...uh...DiMillos...I think that is it. Along with the tour came some very interesting stories, which I think I will let him tell to you if you ever get the chance to meet him. Let's just say he is Maine's pipeline to Hollywood and New England's elite. He then puts me up for the night at his place, and we talk some more about whatever subject seems to come up. Not only that, he gives up HIS bedroom for me for the night. (Sorry Adam, you've been relegated to second place on the host list for this trip. :rofl: )
The next morning he drops me off at the airport, and then says "Happy Birthday" and hands me a custom made hat before I climb into my plane and depart.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• P5241025.JPG
    P5241025.JPG
    478.6 KB · Views: 72
N2212R said:
Not only that, he gives up HIS bedroom for me for the night. (Sorry Adam, you've been relegated to second place on the host list for this trip. :rofl: )
The next morning he drops me off at the airport, and then says "Happy Birthday" and hands me a custom made hat before I climb into my plane and depart.

Thanks again!

Jeeze I buy you $9.00 nachos, my kid makes you a birthday cake and actually gives up and cleans her bathroom for you and I'm beat by Harley's Bed, Hagar and a ball cap. I knew I should have given up my bed and let you sleep there rather than the guest room but Tamson put the kabash on that:no: .

Ya see what hes doing here folks he is trying to up the ante. Its like Ed Freds version of the Zagat Guide for best pilot houses to stay at. He's hoping the next host will give him everything I did plus what Harley gave him AND fuel his plane. Its a slippery slope folks. LOL:rofl:

Seriously Ed is a great and considerate houseguest.... as long as you give him Nachos and a hat. ROLMFAO:rofl: :rofl:

AdamZ said:
Jeeze I buy you $9.00 nachos, my kid makes you a birthday cake and actually gives up and cleans her bathroom for you and I'm beat by Harley's Bed, Hagar and a ball cap. I knew I should have given up my bed and let you sleep there rather than the guest room but Tamson put the kabash on that:no: .

Ya see what hes doing here folks he is trying to up the ante. Its like Ed Freds version of the Zagat Guide for best pilot houses to stay at. He's hoping the next host will give him everything I did plus what Harley gave him AND fuel his plane. Its a slippery slope folks. LOL:rofl:

Seriously Ed is a great and considerate houseguest.... as long as you give him Nachos and a hat. ROLMFAO:rofl:

He can hang with us next time. Choice of air mattress on the living room floor or the couch (either of which may or may not have to be shared with cat and dog), and a bag of Doritos :D

AdamZ said:

And after that the next host will have to do all that plus give him a Mooney!

Hmmm, where's my red paper clip?

What a hat!

Y'see, pilots are a good bunch.

Even (some of) the lawyers.

Just check your wallet...

Honestly, folks; I'm not trying to set a precedent. We don't get out of the woods up here very often, so when we get visited by anyone from the big city it calls for a propuh welcomin'.
When I with camera walked into the office, Ann(FBO) said, He just called in; he's 8 miles out for 25. I hustled out to 1/2 runway and, 25 being a Right Pattern(until the nuclear plant stored waste gets moved to Yucca Mountain), looked upward and inland for the approach. Nothing visible..................but before too long I could hear a plane. I happened to look East and there's one o' them-there low-winguhs turning Final from a Left Pattern and crabbin' like hell. And I think I captured the images(films) to prove it.
Oh, the bed. It was the obvious move. My computer room/music practice room/quasi guest room has a 1940s pineapple post bed -- all made up -- but it's covered with documents, photo envelopes, and other stuff which need to be filed. Another guest room has a Castro Convertible bed, but it and the room presently store bunches or furniture and "stuff" I brought back from the Arizona house. And the 2nd floor guest room -- used only by/during my mother's visits from Arizona -- is in re-creation of Mother's Arizona bedroom, and all the furniture and artwork is there but yet to be positioned and/or hanged in the memorial Evelyn's Room.
(Above pandemonium should be cleared, soon. Her Majesty(former wife) is due in from Florida on the 26th to demonstrate her residential talents(interior decoration and arrangements, of course).
And it was a good time. Ed has a lot of stories, too. I wish we'd had more time. Who's next? Hangar party sometime in July or August.

HR

Last edited:
Hey, you said you weren't going to say anything about that left pattern right pattern thing. :) I swear I did not see it listed on the sectional! :no: Probably because I looked 2 and 3 times at the elevation on the sectional because I figured it to be lower than 70 feet MSL. :dunno:

N2212R said:
Hey, you said you weren't going to say anything about that left pattern right pattern thing. :) I swear I did not see it listed on the sectional! :no: Probably because I looked 2 and 3 times at the elevation on the sectional because I figured it to be lower than 70 feet MSL. :dunno:

Clarification for others:
The change from Left to Right Pattern for only Runway 25 is temporary.
When Maine Yankee Nuclear -- OK; nukular, for you Bush haters -- Plant was operating we had Left Pattern on both 25 and 7. When on DW for 25 we'd be 900 or 1000' above and barely to the left of the gray-white reactor dome which could be seen from 20-25nm away on a clear day. When the decommissioning of the plant got to a certain point only the dome and field of stored waste remained. The airport management proposed to the FAA that the pattern for 25 be changed from L to R, said suggestion having been made before the FAA might have originated the idea. It was implemented a couple years ago and will remain so until the stored waste gets relocated to that mountain in the Pacific SW.

EdFred's not the first -- by far -- to do a Left Pattern there but, usually, if a pilot announces "Left DW for 25, FBO will come back with a Right Pattern advisement and the pilot will extend the CW, do a Right 270 and then be on the away side of the waste field.
Yup; you're right in thinking that if someone is doing a CW landing on LP #7 there could be a traffic conflict under the above scenario. I don't know if that's ever occurred. We may talk funny up here but we listen to the radios.

:yes: and I should have photos by late afternoon, today.

lancefisher said:
And after that the next host will have to do all that plus give him a Mooney!

In 10 years, you'd be well advised to have a private runway, special hangar and guest house built just for him. ;)

Back