Another hard day cleaning "my" B17

Lndwarrior

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Gary
Volunteering at Castle Air Museum near Merced California. I have been assigned as the "crew chief" (aka maintainer, cleaner, weed puller).

My Dad was a ball turret gunner in a B17 during the war and my sister
spends her summers crewing on the Commerative Air Forces Sentimental Journey. B17s apparently run in our family...

There is something special about crawling around this amazing aircraft. It is an honor to be the caretaker of something g so special.

FYI - Castle Air Museum has a huge collection of the biggest military aircraft. They are always looking for volunteers. You can volunteer as much, or as little as you like.

It's about 1/2 mile from Castle Airport do it's easy to fly in and visit. 1000005355.jpg

I was hoping he found the keys and would offer us a trip around the patch ... :dunno:

You think it is hot now.... wait until July when the Great San Joaquine starts hitting 100 plus days...

Thank you for your volunteer work.
That’s why I left the valley, the extreme heat

Volunteering at Castle Air Museum near Merced California. I have been assigned as the "crew chief" (aka maintainer, cleaner, weed puller).

My Dad was a ball turret gunner in a B17 during the war and my sister
spends her summers crewing on the Commerative Air Forces Sentimental Journey. B17s apparently run in our family...

There is something special about crawling around this amazing aircraft. It is an honor to be the caretaker of something g so special.

FYI - Castle Air Museum has a huge collection of the biggest military aircraft. They are always looking for volunteers. You can volunteer as much, or as little as you like.

It's about 1/2 mile from Castle Airport do it's easy to fly in and visit. View attachment 127707
I love castle, Fly into there, a short walk.
The collection is awesome, one of the few remaining b-36’s there,

Damn that's quite the collection they have. Will have to keep this in mind next time I'm out that way.

Everything there is static display, as far as I know, no plans to make anything airworthy

How would one go about being a volunteer? I live a few miles away and go there at least once a year.

Back