Another Google Rant

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
One of my clients had his Adwords account disabled because Google supposedly found malware on the site. I always take those sorts of things seriously, of course, so I scanned the site -- and found nothing. So I contacted Google for more information.

They sent me an email which listed three URLs that don't even belong to the site in question. Nonetheless, I checked the Apache configuration files, the .htaccess file, etc. for possible redirects, and found nothing; then I searched the source code of the entire site for any references to those URLs, and found nothing.

Next, I had the site scanned by Comodo, McAfee, and Norton, none of which found any problems at all.

Finally, I extracted the backup of the site from the date on which Google supposedly found the malware, and again, I found nothing.

In any case, Google's email told me that I can request that the site be re-enabled by going into Webmaster Tools and clicking on the "Health" link (which doesn't exist), then on Malware (which does exist, but in another place), and then "Request a review" (which doesn't exist).

Instead, when I click "Malware," what I get is a message that "Google has not detected any malware on this site."

What is it with this company? In this case, because it was an Adwords account that they disabled, they're actually cutting their own throats, because Adwords is a paid advertising program.

This sort of thing helps me understand why my Adsense revenues have fallen about 90 percent over the past two years. I think Google has become so obsessed with data mining that everything else has just gone down the tubes over there. Apparently they now consider data mining to be their business, and nothing else matters any more.

-Rich

Attachments

• webmaster_tools.jpg
    webmaster_tools.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 28
I have had similar experience with Google. They have become mostly unresponsive, which is not uncommon for businesses that large.

Google is built as an automaton. Their headcount is about 35-ish thousand (more than that if you include the Motorola acquisition), against $50 B in revenues, or about $1.5 MM per employee. No account rating dollars an cents (maybe even thousands of dollars) can compete for attention in that kind of structure.

They sent me two emails today, one apologizing for the inconvenience (which is about as close as Google gets to admitting a mistake), and one congratulating me that the site now meets their standards (which it always has).

I guess all's well that ends well.

-Rich

They sent me two emails today, one apologizing for the inconvenience (which is about as close as Google gets to admitting a mistake), and one congratulating me that the site now meets their standards (which it always has).

I guess all's well that ends well.

-Rich

Great job! Now, can you get eBay to stop threatening me with "collections" for some bogus $3 bill? :D

Back