Another good GA introduction...

Bill

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
This page intentionally left blank
I have a church friend that showed interest in flying, so I told him that we'd go out after I knocked out the IR checkride. So, Sunday, I told him I had a plane at 2pm, and asked would he like to ride along? He ran to his wife like a little kid, "Honey, can I huh can I huh can I?"

Tony told me his father had taken him up in a friends plane when he was quite small, and his father told him he really liked it (he couldn't remember, he was so young), so he thought he'd like it now.

So, away we went, I gave thorough briefs on what to expect, how I would pre-flight the airplane, who we would talk to leaving the airport (class C), etc. We departed for RMG (Rome, GA) in the hopes of a mid-afternoon snack at the Prop Stop. Although only 44nm, I filed IFR for practice, and just because I could. :D

About 10 out, I cancelled IFR, and as we got close, it was quite evident that many folk were out enjoying the good flying weather. There were planes on that airport like flys on...

I kept my head on a swivel, and had Tony looking too, and we merged into the pattern on the downwind, and everyone was being quite friendly and professional on the radio. The denizens of RMG seem to be good friendly people.

Being the first regular rectangular pattern I've flown since June, I was a little bit concerned, but flew an almost perfect pattern to a great landing. We taxi over, and find the Propstop closed. No notes or hours. Ugh, no snack today! I hope they are not out of business.

I asked Tony if he had any hard stop time, and he didn't, so we departed for Collegedale, to see if anyone was around shooting the bull. On this trip, I just went VFR with FF, as I wanted to let Tony take the controls. I offered several times, but he said he was quite happy just taking in the views ON THIS FLIGHT. (so, there may be hope next time! Hey, the first hit is free)

Collegedale is down between two close coupled ridges, and is quite hard to find. I found it from 8nm out, which is a new world record for me. As we entered the pattern, I told Tony that we could get moderate buffeting as we dropped below the tree line on short final. Good thing, as for about 15sec or so, we got tossed pretty good.

Another nice landing, and we stop and find my CFII and my safety pilot study friend shooting the bull on the ramp and (de)grading my landing. Shoot the bull and watch Champs and other nice planes playing in the pattern, then depart for the quick 9nm hop back to CHA.

On the way back, I ask approach if we can do some sightseeing on the way back in, and we find my house and fly over, then head towards Tony's house. But, as we turn towards his house, app tells me not to come any closer to the airport, so we don't find his house.

I give up, and call app to tell them we're ready to land. I get vectored to a long right base, and then come in for the best landing of the day, a true squeeker.

As we're tying down the plane, Tony thanked me for a great day, and said he'd ride along anytime I wanted company. He really loved taking in the sights, saying he really enjoyed seeing what our area looked like from the air. He also loved the landing at CHA, "It was just like when I land here on the commercial jets, but slower and I can see more. Cool."

Oh, on the way out from CHA -> RMG, he wanted to know if controllers are also auctioneers, "They talk so fast, rapid fire, how do you understand what they're saying?"

A good day, and another good introduction to GA...

Last edited:
Fabulous. Another positive impression for GA!

Back