Another fatal accident in Colorado - Carbon Cub at 1CO8

Some NTSB and Aviation media reports now out. Still more questions than answers.

http://www.aopa.org/asf/epilot_acc/cen11fa304.html

"The NTSB’s description of the wreckage is brief, but contains one interesting detail: The Cub’s rudder was found fully deflected to the right. Witnesses agreed that its right wing dropped when it stalled, though it’s more typical for a Carbon Cub to drop the left wing in a power-on stall. The nearest weather observations around the time of the accident gave the winds at 12 knots gusting to 26. Is it possible that during a maximum-performance climb with full right rudder, a drop in the wind following a sudden gust was enough to cause an uncoordinated stall? It seems unlikely—but then, the accident itself was unlikely."

Looks like this thread started in 2011. Sorry to all of you who lost your friend.

Yeah. I would call it a necropost (the Internet term for reviving a "dead" thread) but that seemed somehow a bit wrong to use for a nickname on this one.

Actually Nate, I think its pretty legit to "resurrect" these accident posts as it is often a year or more since the initial post that a final NTSB report is issued.

There are indeed lots of questions. One that I have is given the Pilots experience I am really wondering if the Pax had anything to do with the accident. Very tragic.:(

Last edited:
There's a lot of rumors flying here that he was "hotdogging" too much too. It's just strange. I didn't know him that we'll but he flew that thing slow every time he took it up and wasn't any stranger to its stall handling characteristics.

No one probably will ever know but it's interesting to watch all the survivors form "belief camps". Some believe one thing, others believe something different.

I didn't know him that we'll but he flew that thing slow every time he took it up and wasn't any stranger to its stall handling characteristics.
I remember that it was pretty windy and gusty that day. There could have been some windshear and no time or altitude to recover if they were already close to stall speed.

Last edited:
"The NTSB’s description of the wreckage is brief, but contains one interesting detail: The Cub’s rudder was found fully deflected to the right..

Personally I would not read to much into the "rudder fully deflected"... You can bet the pilot was trying everything he could to fix the situation and that rudder probably went to full stops in both directions til they hit.:sad:

Last edited:
I remember that it was pretty windy and gusty that day. There could have been some windshear and no time or altitude to recover if they were already close to stall speed.

Yup. That's probably the rub right there. Maximum performance takeoffs carry extra (possibly fatal) risks on blustery wind days.

Actually Nate, I think its pretty legit to "resurrect" these accident posts as it is often a year or more since the initial post that a final NTSB report is issued.
OK, I'll resurrect it again to post a positive article I came upon in the local online newspaper.

Airfield fueled by people power

Elbert County News said:
It’s been just more than a year since Rocky Mountain Airpark developer Pete Vinton lost his life in a single-engine plane crash just 5 miles east of Parker. The tiny private airfield and gated community that was once his life’s passion, now sits quietly among the blowing grass and ponderosa pine.

And for the first time, Vinton’s widow spoke out about the accident, the grieving process and how a handful of friends and mysterians have helped her and her husband’s former partner, Tom Schader, keep the airpark running in the absence of its No. 1 cheerleader.

“I’ve been so amazed at the kindness of the community,” said Miriam Vinton in a soft, yet confident voice. “People have stepped up to care for the property, its residents and its neighbors at a time when it would have been easy to do otherwise.”

Killed the poor little newspaper's server. LOL. PoA power! Ha.

Just worked for me in here Jackson Hole now .. Altho it did have some nasty add ons with big bandwidth eating stuff that ruined the song playing on Pandora at the time.

Just worked for me in here Jackson Hole now .. Altho it did have some nasty add ons with big bandwidth eating stuff that ruined the song playing on Pandora at the time.
I use both AdBlock and ClicktoFlash so maybe that's why it loads easily for me.

Server was down for a bit earlier. It's up now.

Murphey, you realize that you have met the author of the article, right? ;)

Back