Another Example of Why It Never Pays to Diss ATC

BruceAir

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BruceAir
From a friend of mine who's a regional jet captain:

We heard an interesting exchange with a ground controller yesterday at Dulles while waiting to taxi out for a flight to CHS. It started like this, with a corporate pilot, type A personality, of course, the arrogant, "You give me priority first" because I some important people on board and need to be on my way type. He is waiting at Signature Flight Support to taxi in his Citation X.

This is what we heard (These two missed 3 or so radio calls to each other in the ensuing radio traffic that occurs with ground this time of the day):

Citation N982QS: "Dulles ground, Citation 982QS, ready for taxi, Whiskey"
Dulles Ground: "Do you have the ATIS information Whiskey?"
Citation: "FOR THE 4TH TIME!!! WE HAVE WHISKEY!!!!!"
Dulles Ground:"FOR THE FIFTH TIME!!! THE ATIS IS NOW "X-RAY!!! PICK IT UP!!!"
Citation: "OH....UH....Okay!"
Dulles Ground: "And for the sixth time this is the seventh time this has happened with you corporate jocks today!!!"

I really make a concerted effort to play nice, particularly with ground. After all, they can keep you on the "ground" for a very long time if they don't like you. Sitting there, burning 100LL, watching the temp gauge climb, sweating like a monkey with the windows open and the cabin air on. Pretty please, I promise to be nice, just let me fly away!

Jim G

LOL I can see that happening. But then I like to get my clearance prior to engine start thus don't waste fuel.

sere said:
LOL I can see that happening. But then I like to get my clearance prior to engine start thus don't waste fuel.

I guess you've not been fortunate enough to experience the, "Clearance cancelled, standby for the amended." How long of a wait? Don't know, we'll get back to you. Taxi back to the ramp and shut down or hold position? Once, after a 28 minute wait, I did taxi back and shut down...just in time to hear the magic words... void if not off by :05, time now :01. Grrrr

Richard said:
I guess you've not been fortunate enough to experience the, "Clearance cancelled, standby for the amended." How long of a wait? Don't know, we'll get back to you. Taxi back to the ramp and shut down or hold position? Once, after a 28 minute wait, I did taxi back and shut down...just in time to hear the magic words... void if not off by :05, time now :01. Grrrr

Ouch!! I would be somewhat...uhm...distracted after that! :rolleyes:

Richard said:

No I have been lucky. And the FAA like to talk about pilot errors! :hairraise:

Back