Another DUI guy, just seeking guidance, possible clarification

O

Ohioguy

I've been browsing these forums all week, reading every bit of information I can. Everybody knows that every situation can be different, though really they're kind of all the same in the end. So I present my story:

Back in 2014 I executed what I believe the technical term is an 'idiot judgment call'. A friend of mine called me up all excited that a brewery/restaurant had opened up in the town next to me, maybe 15 minutes away. I said 'Cool! Lets go get dinner and sample some beverages!' We spent the evening tasting their food and a couple of their beer selections over the course of several hours (now I really do mean a couple, if anybody here has ever been to a new brewery, you'll know that their selections are usually pretty small at first and I don't like to double-up, but they can sometimes have a pretty strong ABV). Time to close up and me having never driven myself to something like this goes 'Hey man, I'm not so sure I should drive anywhere yet, how about we hang out in town a bit before heading out?' (Bam. Judgment mishap.) So we walk around town for at least an hour or so before parting ways. I drive home on some roads I'm barely familiar with even during the day with my phone calling out directions in my cup holder and make a turn wide. Cop starts following me. I'm on that road for a solid 5 miles before coming to a turn that I make without signaling. Cop takes the opportunity to pull me over. I'm thinking now 'Okay, I had some drinks with dinner, but it's been a pretty long time since then and I'm feeling fine but nervious, I must be good' so I do the whole field sobriety test and blow a freaking .083.

So blah blah standard legal stuff follows, my case gets amended to 'Physical Control'. Since the original charge was OVI, I get the standard 6 months suspension and the weekend drivers intervention program. The DIP here is an educational weekend, with the weekend culminating in a professional assessment by a licensed drug/alcohol counselor to determine if you have a problem and need the full treatment and rehab package. I passed that with no further assessment required.

Fast forward to last week when I schedule with an AME for my Class 3. She says she defers anybody with any DUI/OVI/ETC, but that it's not an issue for first/only offenders, I just need to send my personal statement and all the court/driving records I can dig up so that they have all the information they need when they go to review.

The reason I mention my long story above is I sent a barely summarized version of that as part of my personal statement, along with my Ohio Drivers Abstract, the statement from the DIP, the judgment from the court, the ticket, and the pretrial stuff from the prosecution that shows that it was my first offense. The only other ticket I've gotten was an expired registration ticket 8 years ago and I just don't drink out of the house if I know I'm going to be the driver. My question is..is that enough? I've psyched myself out a bit reading some of the horror stories here, and I want to make sure I give the FAA all the assurance I can provide.

Thanks guys!

Since you said you have read many of the DUI threads here, then I'll keep my response to the point.

The one to seek out about this is Dr. Bruce Chien, www.aeromedicaldoc.com. He is the one who can answer the "was that enough" question.

Just about the rest of the comments that will appear as a response (except one or two members who have gone through the SI process for alcohol) are just SGOTI with an opinion. And I include myself in that group.

Success is possible, but you need the right person(s) to guide you on the narrow and thorny path.

Last edited:
For what it is worth...I had a very similar situation in 2008, except I had a higher blood alcohol level. I did what you did/sent in what you did. FAA responded that I needed to include some sort of liver-enzymes test (sorry but I don’t recall the test’s specific name). After sending in the test results I got a response that I was good to go. Whole process took about 4 months.
Also as an FYI, I was never a daily (nor even once a week or once a month) drinker...I was a binge drinker, drinking only once every couple of years, but each time I drank I was drinking to excess. I only mention this because I would imagine this would not show on that liver test like a daily drinker, but I’m not sure.

I've been browsing these forums all week, reading every bit of information I can. Everybody knows that every situation can be different, though really they're kind of all the same in the end. So I present my story:

Back in 2014 I executed what I believe the technical term is an 'idiot judgment call'. A friend of mine called me up all excited that a brewery/restaurant had opened up in the town next to me, maybe 15 minutes away. I said 'Cool! Lets go get dinner and sample some beverages!' We spent the evening tasting their food and a couple of their beer selections over the course of several hours (now I really do mean a couple, if anybody here has ever been to a new brewery, you'll know that their selections are usually pretty small at first and I don't like to double-up, but they can sometimes have a pretty strong ABV). Time to close up and me having never driven myself to something like this goes 'Hey man, I'm not so sure I should drive anywhere yet, how about we hang out in town a bit before heading out?' (Bam. Judgment mishap.) So we walk around town for at least an hour or so before parting ways. I drive home on some roads I'm barely familiar with even during the day with my phone calling out directions in my cup holder and make a turn wide. Cop starts following me. I'm on that road for a solid 5 miles before coming to a turn that I make without signaling. Cop takes the opportunity to pull me over. I'm thinking now 'Okay, I had some drinks with dinner, but it's been a pretty long time since then and I'm feeling fine but nervious, I must be good' so I do the whole field sobriety test and blow a freaking .083.

So blah blah standard legal stuff follows, my case gets amended to 'Physical Control'. Since the original charge was OVI, I get the standard 6 months suspension and the weekend drivers intervention program. The DIP here is an educational weekend, with the weekend culminating in a professional assessment by a licensed drug/alcohol counselor to determine if you have a problem and need the full treatment and rehab package. I passed that with no further assessment required.

Fast forward to last week when I schedule with an AME for my Class 3. She says she defers anybody with any DUI/OVI/ETC, but that it's not an issue for first/only offenders, I just need to send my personal statement and all the court/driving records I can dig up so that they have all the information they need when they go to review.

The reason I mention my long story above is I sent a barely summarized version of that as part of my personal statement, along with my Ohio Drivers Abstract, the statement from the DIP, the judgment from the court, the ticket, and the pretrial stuff from the prosecution that shows that it was my first offense. The only other ticket I've gotten was an expired registration ticket 8 years ago and I just don't drink out of the house if I know I'm going to be the driver. My question is..is that enough? I've psyched myself out a bit reading some of the horror stories here, and I want to make sure I give the FAA all the assurance I can provide.

Thanks guys!

1st, find an AMW that is a pilot. 2nd, schedule a consultation with the AME to discuss you medical issue and you will have the skids greased to get a medical. Don’t sweat it.

Good luck. Strongly suggest you do what Mike suggests in post #2 above. He (Dr Bruce) helped one of my students.

1st, find an AMW that is a pilot. 2nd, schedule a consultation with the AME to discuss you medical issue and you will have the skids greased to get a medical. Don’t sweat it.
Normally I would say you're right on the money with this bit of advice, especially finding the right AME and doing the consultation visit.

But I think Ohioguy is already past this point, where a live exam was done, he was deferred, and now he and his additional documentation is making its way through the system.

@Ohioguy ... When was your medical exam and when was your full submission packet sent in to OKC?

you might still make contact with Dr. Bruce and inquire if it is worth your hiring him to manage your case from this point onward. While that in itself doesn't guarantee success, you will be working with an AME who knows where all of the land mines are located.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Geeze, I haven't been to a forum this active in at least 10 years.

To address several points: I did get my live medical done already. I wish I would have come around here /before/ getting the medical done so I would have known that a consultation was an option, but such is life. Going in to the process blind-ish after reading the MedXPress instructions didn't really impose on me how serious they were about it. Probably should have though!

@AggieMike88 Thanks for the link, I did end up contacting Dr. Bruce this morning. He gave me a great reply with some suggestions that I'm evaluating in terms of a 'next step' sort of deal as far as how much I want to do/spend before I hear back from the FAA at all. The Doc is really on another level, my ma has been a drug and alcohol rehab councilor for years so I have a bit of an 'inside baseball' view on how hard it can be to deal with the problem cases.

I went in for my live medical this past Tuesday and mailed out a packet with my personal statement including my written statement of what the punishment was, and a copy of my original ticket as per my AMEs instructions that evening. The situation was eating at me though, so Wednesday morning I started really digging deep around here and elsewhere and put together another packet with the rest of the documents I mentioned above and another letter detailing those new documents that I mailed out Thursday. This whole situation is very fresh in this sense.

Dr. B recommended I pull my 10 year BMV report which Ohio makes darn near impossible to figure out how to get. When I went to my local BMV human wait time aggregator they didn't know that a report longer than 3 years was possible (I got that one and sent it with the second packet), so I'll have to drive to the full regional office in the hopes that the longer the wait, the more complete the service.

I may also call the FAA this coming Tuesday just to tap the walls, Shawshank Redemption style.

0ED74BF1-B9EF-4E6F-B19B-A23B7AA9EA5E.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back