Another "can't find printer from wireless laptop"

Graueradler

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Graueradler
Didn't want to mix in with Adam's thread.

My wife and I both have a desk top and a laptop computer. The desk tops run XP and the lap tops run Vista. I've have successfully got my desk top and both lap tops set up to use the printer on my desk top. Both lap tops can access files in the shared documents folder on my wife's desk top but neither lap top can access her printer. When trying to install the printer, I get "Access Denied". Both laptops only have an administrator log in. I went through the necessary steps on my desk top to get it to share its printer and did the same steps on my wife's.

One thing that I did have trouble with was that the workgroup name on my wife's desk top would not "stick". It would keep reverting back to a default name (MSGROUP IIRC). I finally gave up and changed the other computers to that work group name. In Control Pannel - Printers, the printer is checked to allow sharing. File and printer sharing is turned on and files can be shared.

I don't know why the workgroup name keeps changing, but I do know that it happens.

I often start jobs at new client locations by running some routine cleanup utilities (CCleaner [including the registry cleaner], CHKDSK, etc.) and flushing the DNS resover caches (IPCONFIG /flushdns) on all the machines in order to clean up miscellaneous inconsistencies, corruption, and so forth. Often, this winds up clearing up the workgroup name-changing problem, although I have no idea specifically why.

I also routinely set static IP addresses, which tends to make things a bit more stable. I run IPCONFIG from the command line to determine the current IP, and then set (manually):
  • IP: I make the current DHCP IP the static IP, just to avoid throwing off other members of the network that already have the IP in cache.
  • Subnet: Usually 255.255.255.0
  • Gateway: The Router IP
  • DNS Server: The Router IP
The combination of the routine cleaning and the static settings usually solves the workgroup name problem, which leads me to believe (without any real evidence) that it is somehow connected either to a bug in the DHCP implementation or some corruption in the DNS cache of one of the computers.

As for Vista networking, sorry, but I haven't played enough with peer-to-peer (workgroup) Vista networking to have a good enough feel for it to know why Vista can see the shared files but not the printer.

Rich

EDIT: you won't want to use static IPs on the laptops unless they aren't used anywhere else. If they're mobile, then keep them on DHCP (automatic) IP, DNS, etc.

Last edited:
I had a very similar problem on my setup: One desktop, one laptop, both running XP, all settings verified and verified, but the laptop would not see the desktop shared folders nor the printer.

I stumbled onto the fix. Turn off all firewalls, and in particular the XP firewall, set up the network yet again, everything works. Then turn on the firewalls and everything continues to work.

May your problem be this simple!

-Skip

It may have to do with the way that some wireless access points separate the wireless and wired portions of the network.

Make sure that the wireless portion is "on the LAN" and not its own separate subnet.

~ Christopher

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try them as soon as I get time, probably after Christmas, and report back. Coming out of retirement to run an airport is keeping me busier than a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs - but I'm having fun.

Back