Another “Can I Pass Medical With This Litany of Issues?” Post

Discussion in 'Medical Topics' started by HopefulPilot, Aug 24, 2021.

1. Vincent Becker

Vincent Becker Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    vinnybecker
    Did my training in a FD CT and still rent it to stay current. Great airplane. You get kicked around a lot but it’s like flying a sports car. Very fun.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

HopefulPilot likes this.
  2. WDD

WDD Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
    Read a lot of great things about flight design as well.

A good AP can adequately check out an RV for you. They are built by home plane builders, who are IMHO on the fanatical side of detail work. You’d probably have a higher chance of finding problems with a legacy plane and years of varying degrees of maintenance, etc.

HopefulPilot likes this.
  3. HopefulPilot

HopefulPilot Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    Hopeful Pilot
    Is this going to be the case with all LSAs? Or are there any that tolerate winds better that you know of?

4. WDD

WDD Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Vintage Snazzy (so my adult children say)
    They all have light wing loading - so they will be more sports car vs SUV. It’s because of the required max gross weight limit, stall speed requirement, etc.

Check out Vans Air Force and they can chat about what it’s like to fly an LSA. Stan on the board here also has an LSA

HopefulPilot likes this.
  5. Vincent Becker

Vincent Becker Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    vinnybecker
    Depends. Some are made of composite (FD) and some metal. I’ve heard ones made of metal cuts down on it but generally with less weight the more the wind affects you.

You get used to it after awhile.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

6. HopefulPilot

Display name:
    Hopeful Pilot
    I meant to follow up with you about this. Are you saying there is a good chance the weight limit will not be increased 2023?

The most recent information I could find was this: https://generalaviationnews.com/2021/08/05/major-course-change-for-faa-on-lsa-update/

Palmpilot likes this.
  7. PeterNSteinmetz

PeterNSteinmetz En-Route PoA Supporter

Display name:
    PeterNSteinmetz
    That is my understanding from a member who sits on the committee looking at this, yes. However, that report predates this more recent reported meeting.

Whenever it involves the FAA changing a regulation, you can count on a long time. I would not hold my breath.

HopefulPilot and Daleandee like this.
  8. HopefulPilot

Display name:
    Hopeful Pilot
    Yeah, I was reading articles from back in 2016, before basic med, where people thought that the FAA was going to get rid of the 3rd class medical requirement for PPL completely. I personally wouldn't consider the end result "ending the 3rd class medical requirement". So I wonder how overshot some of the speculations are about LSA weight limits.

PeterNSteinmetz likes this.
  9. MIFlyer

MIFlyer Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display name:
    MIFlyer
    Actually, wouldn't it make sense for the OP to start a sport pilot license (no medical) and actually get going on training before he takes on a potential 2 year process to navigate the medical stuff for private?

PeterNSteinmetz likes this.
  10. PeterNSteinmetz

PeterNSteinmetz En-Route PoA Supporter

Display name:
    PeterNSteinmetz
    I think that is what people have been suggesting.

Daleandee and Vincent Becker like this.
  11. Palmpilot

Palmpilot Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Richard Palm
    Details were never released on the FAA proposal that was stonewalled by DOT, so I guess we'll never know what was in it. BasicMed was a Congressional creation.

12. Daleandee

Daleandee Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Dale Andee
    Yeah that Bristell is gorgeous and the price is popular (as Benny Hill would say) because "they like it!"

The RV12 WDD mentioned is a great choice. A friend is taking flight lessons in a Tecnam P92 and he likes the plane a lot. I may go and take my flight review in it or just get the instructor to take me out for a flight to see how it handles.

[​IMG]

https://chesapeakesportpilot.com/tecnam-eaglet/

You should be able to find a used copy for less than $100K ...

13. HopefulPilot

Display name:
    Hopeful Pilot
    Oh yeah I was looking at the P2008. Forgot about that one. I hadn't heard of the P92, I will have to look into the differences between the two. Something like this looks attractive: https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/206736723/2012-tecnam-p2008-light-sport-aircraft

14. HopefulPilot

Display name:
    Hopeful Pilot
    I will be following this great advice for sure!

15. HopefulPilot

Display name:
    Hopeful Pilot
    Hey, so it's pretty clear to me at this point that I want Dr. Chien, especially considering the SSRIs. However, between the incredible amount of demand for his services (understandably), the complexity of my case, and that I imagine the guy wants to retire at some point, I am a little worried that he won't be able to take me on.

So I have two more questions:

1. Does anyone have any backups, just in case? I have heard great things about Dr. Fowler, who was mentioned above, and who matches well for me geographically (though I would fly anywhere for this).

2. I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row before reaching out to him. I don't want to waste his time, and I want to increase the likelihood of success. I want to make it as easy as possible for him. Any advice in this regard?

Thanks again. You all have been incredibly helpful.

16. Tools

Tools Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Tools
    Tom Faulkner, Atlanta GA. NOT Good about returning calls, keep pinging office until you get someone in the office, then schedule a “phone consult”.

HopefulPilot likes this.
  17. AggieMike88

AggieMike88 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
    Stephen Kramer, Frisco, TX.

Pilot, Senior HIMS AME, conserved by many locals to be the local guy to go to with complicated cases.

HopefulPilot likes this.