Annoyed.

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I've just been informed that the FBO where I have done 90% of my training at and rent airplanes from is being purchased by MillionAir / Regent. The flight school will be closed and the airplanes sold by Feb 1st.

This is a major annoyance for me. My only shot is to join a local flying club. I shot them an e-mail and they have no open membership slots and sounds like there is quite a wait.

Now I've got to find another place to rent a plane...go through the checkout process.. and drive at least a hour to get there.

:mad:

With all the miles you put on that bike yearly, is it really a problem ?
Good luck though, no matter what.

jangell said:
I've just been informed that the FBO where I have done 90% of my training at and rent airplanes from is being purchased by MillionAir / Regent. The flight school will be closed and the airplanes sold by Feb 1st.

This is a major annoyance for me. My only shot is to join a local flying club. I shot them an e-mail and they have no open membership slots and sounds like there is quite a wait.

Now I've got to find another place to rent a plane...go through the checkout process.. and drive at least a hour to get there.

Does Wes Anderson at the Flying A airport still do any training/rental? I doubt that he has anything high perf or complex, but at least it's airplanes close by.

Good luck!

David

jangell said:

That stinks but any chance you can pick up one of the planes at a resonable price? :dunno:

smigaldi said:
That stinks but any chance you can pick up one of the planes at a resonable price? :dunno:

eh.. they'd have to be..quite reasonable...

If I *really* bust my #@$ at work.. and sell a lot on ebay I can pull about a $600 / month *TOPS* flying budget. I don't think I could fit airplane ownership in there.

Anything at Dodge Center? How about Owatonna?

lancefisher said:
Anything at Dodge Center? How about Owatonna?
Nothing at Dodge. Just a few private airplanes, most of which I think are owned by the slightly rich McNeilius family.

Owatonna is pretty much the best shot. I'm going to get ahold of them.

I just find it hard to beleive there isn't another FBO at Rochester.. Or an FBO dedicated towards flight training.. There is plenty of money and it's a nice airport.

That's a bummer, Jesse.

Maybe this board should have a category dedicated to b!tching about having to rent from far-away/shoddy/expensive/infuriating FBO's. We could call it "Rent & Vent". I'd be a regular poster.

--Kath

Jesse,

You should call up FCM and ask if you can borrow an FBO! :D IIRC, they have FOUR FBO's that rent planes.

That really does suck, though. Maybe you can find someone who wants a business opportunity? Of course, a flight school without an FBO (read: fuel sales) may be a break-even proposition. Maybe.

jangell said:
eh.. they'd have to be..quite reasonable...

If I *really* bust my #@$ at work.. and sell a lot on ebay I can pull about a $600 / month *TOPS* flying budget. I don't think I could fit airplane ownership in there.

I bet 600 bucks a month out where you are is a lot of flying! good for you!

woodstock said:
I bet 600 bucks a month out where you are is a lot of flying! good for you!

Not enough flying though :no:

That STINKS! I just learned from my FBO that another local airport may be closing. the owner died suddenly this fall and the mx/avionics shop left. they ony have a couple of 150s for training and its goin down fast. A second field the FBO either closed the flight school or left althgether and at a third a very busy little field the FBO is dumping the flight school and concentrating on charters.

Don't these guys realize that if ya don't train pilots and rent planes ya can't sell them fuel and services. I guess One King Air is worth more to them income wise than three Archers and a 172

jangell said:
Form your own or work with the club to add a 2nd plane maybe?

AdamZ said:
That STINKS! I just learned from my FBO that another local airport may be closing. the owner died suddenly this fall and the mx/avionics shop left. they ony have a couple of 150s for training and its goin down fast. ...

Adam, is that N10?

jangell said:

Suckage. Sorry to hear of your plight, I hope you can work something out without resorting to a two hour round trip just to fly.

flyingcheesehead said:
Jesse,

You should call up FCM and ask if you can borrow an FBO! :D IIRC, they have FOUR FBO's that rent planes.

That really does suck, though. Maybe you can find someone who wants a business opportunity? Of course, a flight school without an FBO (read: fuel sales) may be a break-even proposition. Maybe.

RST could use some competition on fuel sales anyway. It's really not a very GA friendly airport compared to what you typically find near a mid sized rural town.

$600/month. You can afford get a ragged yet a/w 150/2 and still put 10 hours a month flying on it for that.

N2212R said:
$600/month. You can afford get a ragged yet a/w 150/2 and still put 10 hours a month flying on it for that.

I was trying to crunch the numbers on that last night. It's not a very reailistic idea though. I'd have no where to put it. If something were to break on it there is no way I'd have money to fix it..

Plus considering I can't even get a small car loan.. I don't think I could get an airplane loan.

A fun idea though to toss around.

jangell said:
I was trying to crunch the numbers on that last night. It's not a very reailistic idea though. I'd have no where to put it. If something were to break on it there is no way I'd have money to fix it..

Plus considering I can't even get a small car loan.. I don't think I could get an airplane loan.

A fun idea though to toss around.

Would your Dad help? Could he hold the loan and plane while you make payments?

Note to the rest - Jesse is at an entirely different ... stage ... of his life. That's a nice way of saying that to him the rest of us look like old farts. :D

Last edited:
MSmith said:
That's a nice way of saying that to him the rest of us look like old farts. :D

Shoot, the rest of us ARE olde farts! :rolleyes:

I'd like to go on record as simply being a not-quite-middle-aged fart, thank you. ;)

Sheesh. Where's the air freshener?

MSmith said:
Would your Dad help? Could he hold the loan and plane while you make payments?

Note to the rest - Jesse is at an entirely different ... stage ... of his life. That's a nice way of saying that to him the rest of us look like old farts. :D

Nah. My parents were/aren't very responsible with money and have trashed their credit and I beleive filed bankrupt recently.

Otherwise if I was able to get a loan I'd be in part 141 right now.

Oh well :) ... I'll just try to get into this flying club and keep on flying on :)

Move to Arizona and go work for Michael and there is always Uncle Sam, a very honorable place to work for a few years

AdamZ said:
Move to Arizona and go work for Michael and there is always Uncle Sam, a very honorable place to work for a few years

Good idea, and he could sell his car, and would only need his bike to get around.

jangell said:

Another option you may try to put together: Have a meeting with all the other rental clients from there and arrainge a new club and buy a couple of the planes. Don't know if you can make it work, but might be worth a try.

AdamZ said:

I agree with Adam. Have you concidered the military as an option? by the time you get out, you could have enough change for a pretty nice plane. room and board are still free i assume. but if that isnt an option..I am always looking for employees :)

jangell said:
Nah. My parents were/aren't very responsible with money and have trashed their credit and I beleive filed bankrupt recently.

Otherwise if I was able to get a loan I'd be in part 141 right now.

Oh well :) ... I'll just try to get into this flying club and keep on flying on :)

I am new here so I need a little background info. Where you currently training for other ratings? If so, it stinks when changes like this have to be made because it does set you back a little. One thing you can do to help yourself is find out where your current instructor is going to go for work, and if it is a reasonable drive, follow him/her to the new school. Doing this won't set you back because you will still be working with the same CFI. Now if the CFI moves to far away, it no longer is an option to you.

AdamZ said:
That STINKS! I just learned from my FBO that another local airport may be closing. the owner died suddenly this fall and the mx/avionics shop left. they ony have a couple of 150s for training and its goin down fast. A second field the FBO either closed the flight school or left althgether and at a third a very busy little field the FBO is dumping the flight school and concentrating on charters.

Don't these guys realize that if ya don't train pilots and rent planes ya can't sell them fuel and services. I guess One King Air is worth more to them income wise than three Archers and a 172

I'm pretty certain what the first field is, but what are the other two?

Joe Williams said:
I'm pretty certain what the first field is, but what are the other two?

The first one sounds Like N10, Perk Valley to me. I know Penn Avionics moved to Brandywine.

Don't know about the other two as I'm a little far removed from the area, but I also hear the Kutztown is under pressure to close.

Last edited:
Anthony said:
The first one sounds Like N10, Perk Valley to me. I know Penn Avionics moved to Brandywine.

Don't know about the other two as I'm a little far removed from the area, but I also hear the Kutztown is under pressure to close.
Anthony -

I saw a reference somewhere that the state is considering taking over Kutztown.

RotaryWingBob said:
Anthony -

I saw a reference somewhere that the state is considering taking over Kutztown.

That would be great Bob.

The last time I was at N10, Perk Valley, there was a housing development being built practically on top of the airport. I'm sure its completed by now. One of the guys at the FBO told me the developer's agent moved the sales office to the farthest point from the airport to lessen questions about aircraft noise.

Update: I e-mailed the local flying club and was told there were openings in the club. I went and mailed the application and $550 joining fee (gasp) as soon as I received this e-mail.

I e-mailed them back and they said they just approved four new members last night and I'll probably be on a waiting list now. Doh..

Jesse, we fell your pain. Our FBO is shutting down and has taken all rental aircraft off the line. The city is looking for an airport manager, but he will only pump gas and mow the grass. They are looking for someone to open a FBO, but most likely that will not happen. There are approximately 4 students that are left high and dry. I added one of them to my insurance so he could keep up his lessons, he is a close friend and his instructor use to date my sister in law. Check with some other pilots you know and maybe you can find a deal like that. If not, N11152 is still for sale.:yes:

Dean said:
Check with some other pilots you know and maybe you can find a deal like that. If not, N11152 is still for sale.:yes:

The funny thing is. I don't know any around here.

Sure I'll buy it. I'll give you ALL the money in my checking account...savings too!

jangell said:
The funny thing is. I don't know any around here.

Sure I'll buy it. I'll give you ALL the money in my checking account...savings too!

Back when we used to being building time at minimum $/hr we'd leave notes on airport bullitin boards (could use email maybe somehow now) as available, free "safety pilot" for the IFR pilots going under the hood to do their 6 month currency since both can log the time when the IFR pilot is under the hood or sometimes, we'd split costs for those flights and/or for time building XC flights and other PIC hours.

Back