Angel Flights

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
I think sometime in the future, I'd be very interested in volunteering for this wonderful organization. Does anyone know offhand what the minimum requirements are to be a volunteer pilot (PIC time, rating, etc.)?

Thanks--that's the link for the Western Region--they seem to be broken down into separate entities for each region and I can't tell if the requirements would be the same.

mattaxelrod said:
Thanks--that's the link for the Western Region--they seem to be broken down into separate entities for each region and I can't tell if the requirements would be the same.

The requirements are NOT the same for each region. I'm with Angel Flight South Central (http://www.AngelFlightSC.org), and flew a mission just a week ago--PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, if you LOVE to fly and help other people too, join us, or Dr. Chien's organization, or any of these others... it's just a VERY fulfilling thing to do. And now, with the Senate working to extend the Samaritan law to make sure you can't be sued, that worry goes away too, even though our patients do sign a full release at the airport, that goes into a SASE envelope left at the FBO and mailed back to the Angel Flight office before we strap into the airplane.

How many Angel Flight pilots do we have here?! Stand up and be counted... and say what chapter you fly for, too..

I too fly for Angel Flight South Central, they require 200 hours. I am also a member of AF west, they want 300 and an orientation with an orientation pilot.
I have the 300 just have not done the orientation.
Great group of folks to be associated with. Do it, you will never regret it.
Don

Don,

The pilot orientation for Angel flight West is procedural, not a flight test. It covers all aspects of flying a mission from sign up to patient contact to filing completion reports online, etc. I think that is a change within the past couple of years. You should contact the Wing in your area and they can set you up and get you going.

Best,

David

drhunt said:
Don,

The pilot orientation for Angel flight West is procedural, not a flight test. It covers all aspects of flying a mission from sign up to patient contact to filing completion reports online, etc. I think that is a change within the past couple of years. You should contact the Wing in your area and they can set you up and get you going.

Best,

David

Yea, I was aware of what it was, just have not been able to get together with either one of the MOP's in the area. They are both in ABQ and are real busy as am I. I will eventually get it handled even though I think it is silly since I have actively been flying missions for South Central. Just another stupid insurance reg I imagine. Thanks
Don

Troy Whistman said:
How many Angel Flight pilots do we have here?! Stand up and be counted... and say what chapter you fly for, too..

I fly for AngelFlight West/Nevada.

B J Harris
N7895W

Matt: AFEast is based just down the road from me and I am somewhat friendly with the woman who is thier mission coordinator. IIRC they want 300 hours to fly PIC but until then there are many ground based jobs you can do.

AdamZ said:
Matt: AFEast is based just down the road from me and I am somewhat friendly with the woman who is thier mission coordinator. IIRC they want 300 hours to fly PIC but until then there are many ground based jobs you can do.

Like what?

Joe Williams said:
Like what?

Helping with fund raisers, like the big event they have at Wings every Sept. Providing ground transportation for pax. Check out their site they have a list of things. I think they call them Ground Angels.

Joe Williams said:
Like what?
For Angel Flight West, there is the "Mission Assistant" (someone going on the flight to assist the pilot by looking after the needs of the passengers and, perhaps, help out as a "copilot")

I'd gladly sign up, I just haven't had the time yet. For angel flight west, the membership fee seems strange. Pay money to volunteer?

AirBaker said:
I'd gladly sign up, I just haven't had the time yet. For angel flight west, the membership fee seems strange. Pay money to volunteer?

Not really. The Coast Guard Auxiliary has an annual membership fee. Some of the money goes to the local, district, and national organization. This year I hear it's up to $29.
I suspect there are many 'volunteer' organizations that have a membership fee. It's not completely unreal.

silver-eagle said:
Not really. The Coast Guard Auxiliary has an annual membership fee. Some of the money goes to the local, district, and national organization. This year I hear it's up to $29.
I suspect there are many 'volunteer' organizations that have a membership fee. It's not completely unreal.

CAP = Come And Pay ;)

Back